The best BCD for women!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Female diver here: The best BCD will be the one that's most comfortable for you, so the best advise I have is to try them before you buy.

Personally I find unisex BCDs more comfortable as my shoulders are quite broad - love the Aqualung Axiom.

However I know many female divers who like the Aqualung Pearl as it has a sort of sports bra across the chest. It provides more comfort and support than a traditional chest strap design, which can often dig in. It is also cut higher on the hips for a better fit.

Plus Aqualung make a donation to breast cancer research for every Pearl sold!

Happy shopping!

I like the bpw. No restrictions on the ladies and no riding up. Plus if you are like me and your weight fluctuates you won't have to sell/rebuy for size reasons, as I see on the classifieds all the time. DSS also has a short plate size if you are shorter than 5'6 or have a shorter torso. To make it pretty you could have the plate sprayed and find colorful webbing or wing.

Zeagle also has some pretty customizable options and is well loved.

But if you don't want to go bpw the next best advice I can give is to make sure you find someone local that will fit you and let you try or find someone that will let you try something similar in the water. A fit in the shop does not always make a fit in the water.

I have a Tusa Selene that I love. I believe they now have moved on to the Tusa Selene II, but I'm not sure how it differs. I used men's BCDs for a long time, and had a lot of trouble with fit. I would think I had it snug only to get into the water and have it float up. The problem was that the area where the main fastening was was hitting me on my hips, but would then pop off and up to sit around my waist in the water, making the whole thing flop around and feel awkward. In order to get it tight enough to stay in place, I was practically suffocating myself. My Selene BCD is cut shorter and tightens around my waist, and then stays in place comfortably--such a difference! I do agree that there's no one best women's BCD--you should find the one that fits your body best. When you do, you'll be so happy!

I wear the Zena Zeagle. It is comfortable, lightweight but not very "pretty". Only drawback is that it is a zip cord release & I too prefer pockets. I have never had to use it but pulled it out on land to make sure I could get it back together. It wasn't too big of an ordeal. I have been diving with it for about 3 years now. I love it!

I know that technically we should rip that cord if we need to dump weights - and that's what I will do if I'm in a situation that requires immediate action. But if I have a minute to spare I will unzip my pockets and take out that pouches that hold the weights and lets those fall rather than ripping the cord. I'm not crazy about the idea of rethreading it either. But I love the fact that my Zena is adjustable in so many ways that it can grow and shrink with me (within reason) and always adjust to a perfect fit. I have a short torso and this has been a wonderful help to me. But the more I read about backplate and wings ....... :wink:

---------- Post added November 21st, 2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

I bought a Zena and then sold it and bought the Aqualung Libra. It feels like I am wearing nothing and doesn't have the problem with the tank hitting me in the back of the head. I also prefer the weight pouches on the Aqualung vs. the ripcord design on the Zeagle.

If you can try before you buy then definitely do, once you find one you like you will be very happy!

I have had that problem with the tank hitting me in the back of the head with every bc I've had. For me it's more a matter of making sure the tank is adjusted down, and the times it has been a problem is when I let someone else put my tank on. I know where it needs to be for my height, but if it's set up for a normal height person I get banged in the head.

I am searching for the best BCD to buy. Please recommend your the bests and add the reasons. What is important for me about? Well, for me it is important to be comfortable, light, beautiful and not too expensive. Thanks!
Scubapro LadyHawk is an excellent B.C. for women.

It is comfortable, light & beautiful.

Give it a Dive!

For me, the best BCD is a backplate and wing. My reasons are that the simple harness is infinitely adjustable, so you don't have to worry about trying to find just the right size. It leaves the chest free and clear, so nothing is trying to compress sensitive structures. I bought a SeaQuest Libra when I first got certified and was never entirely happy with it, because it just wouldn't keep the tank really stable on my back. My first dive with a backplate setup, I told the guy who owned it to give me a price for it, because he wasn't getting it back.

i would agree with you -- and i believe at least some wing makers have a variety of colors or can go with basic black for the harness & wing and leave the color accessorizing to your exposure suit & fins...
i'm considering painting my split fins so somebody can find me -- in the shed i've got fluro orange and green...

Last edited:
I love my Seaquest Diva. They don't make them anymore but a few dive shops still have old inventory.
I like how the cummerbund velcros me in securely without imposing on my breasts. I like the ditch able weight pockets, extra d rings and extra tank strap. Not to mention back trim pockets.

My fiancee went from a "comfortable" BC with integrated weight pockets and three dump valves. One nearly drowned her when the ball caught under a padded shoulder strap and kept dumping at the surface. She switched to a Freedom Plate and Oxycheq wing and refuses to ever dive anything else.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...952-new-freedom-contour-rolex-backplates.html

For me, the best BCD is a backplate and wing. My reasons are that the simple harness is infinitely adjustable, so you don't have to worry about trying to find just the right size. It leaves the chest free and clear, so nothing is trying to compress sensitive structures.

I totally second the backplate/wing recommendation for the same reasons as above and would add that for recreational diving, I'd suggest going with a Freedom Contour plate. It is specifically designed for single tank diving and is generally more comfortable than a standard backplate. It also is smaller and lighter for travel.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom