The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246:
I understand what you're saying, but IMHO, this as a tattoo, just reinforces the stereotype of sharks as vicious killers and that's wrong.

I thought about that but that is not the intention of the tattoo. There are far more sharks being killed by humans than humans by sharks. Humans will be afraid of sharks forever and they will never understand the love of the sea like we do with all its creatures.

The arm holding up the flag is to show that although the shark is a deadly advisary on its own "turf" the diver still holds up the flag - The human nature to learn and discover more about his enviroment and serounding.

I am thinking of printing the word "Nemesis" at the bottom but in Greek (Νέμεσις) as the human and the shark are the kings of their teratory - Humans on land and sharks in the sea. Nemesis can be translated to the following:

- the spirit of divine retribution
- to give what is due
- personified as a remorseless goddess
- She is the executrix of justice
- balancer of Fortune's chance
- distributor of fortune, neither good nor bad
- one from whom there is no escape

She was also said to be the daughter of Oceanus, which the Greeks and Romans regarded as "a river circling the world". Some scholars believe he originally represented all bodies of salt water, including the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, the two largest bodies known to the ancient Greeks.

The shark and the human are both the "nemesis" of each other.

Anyones opinion on this?

El Orans:
Looks like you're giving it a lot of thought... :thumbs_up

I am. You know if you read through all the replies and comments it is very clear that everyone with and without tattoos is saying that think about it and be sure because this is a very perminent and personal decision.

What is your opinion about my idea? Do you think of the tatoo it self - Do you think it is wrong puting the shark like that?

A tattoo doesn't necessarily have to be a life-like portrayal.

Why put the text in Greek?

An alternative: Never Surrender!

El Orans:
A tattoo doesn't necessarily have to be a life-like portrayal.

Why put the text in Greek?

An alternative: Never Surrender!

The word "Nemesis" comes from the goddess of divine justice and retribution from Greek mythology - I also have a very strong bond with some Greek friends of mine and it also represents a time in my life where they and that friendship fits in - and of cource it makes it look interesting - It will make people ask that does not understand Greek and gives it a special some thing ells - and also if I dont want to explain, I dont have to - My personal tattoo... if you understand what I mean - what it says is only for me and the meaning behind it.

Of cource Nemesis is also said to have been the mother of Helen of Troy which represents "Beauty" to me.

Sounds like a plan. Have an artist draw a design and think it over for a few days. And don't forget to post the design here as well.

try looking at Amphibous Outfitters tee shirt designs, they have several good design that show eels, and scuba art....this might give you some ideas to start with....see ya` under

El Orans:
Sounds like a plan. Have an artist draw a design and think it over for a few days. And don't forget to post the design here as well.

I will most certainly do!!! If I get this one done there is another design that I am thinking of - a mermaid swimming upwards from below asif going to the surface. The tail will be just above my elbow and the head and hands (swimming asif diving into a pool, hands streched infront of her) at my shoulder. This one I want to do like a pensil sketch with a lot of detail but no colour. I can see it infront of me!!!.....

Wish I had a pic of the actual tattoo, but I just stole View attachment 29220 from Supernal and got it tattooed on my back. Turned out pretty good too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom