The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fairly certain I'd like to go for a SCUBA tat but as has already been posted I'd want it original and unique... has anyone any ideas? The Mark 5 helmet looks the business but don't know how unique it would be.

subaquaman:
I'm fairly certain I'd like to go for a SCUBA tat but as has already been posted I'd want it original and unique... has anyone any ideas? The Mark 5 helmet looks the business but don't know how unique it would be.
Probably not as unique as a diving leprechaun would be... :D

El Orans:
Probably not as unique as a diving leprechaun would be... :D

Now that's a very cool idea!

I'm shocked by the amount of tattoo bashing that has occured in this thread. Especially in regards to them being a result of "temporary feelings" or "trendy".
I have quite a few tattooed friends & family & quite a few that aren't.
I have one small tat on my right ankle (it's there because it is easy to hide, easy to display & it's hold some significance because that's where my mom had her first tattoo). It is a maple leaf with a yin yang symbol within it. Some may think it's trendy, but it is over 2 years old and still very much a part of who I am. The yin yang is a symbol representing balance & it reminds me to keep balance in my life. I find it truly does help to ground me. I knew I wanted this exact tattoo for 8 months before I took the plunge & had it done.
My mom's first tattoo was done when she was in her early 30's. It is a tiny heart with flowers/vines (she has a passion for plants/gardening) surrounding it with two vines at the bottom curling into two letter Js. They stand for my name & my brother's name. You can't tell me that something symbolic of a passion you've had for (at the tim about 15 years) & for your children is a "temporary feeling". Or trendy. Her second tattoo may be a little of both a (beautifully done) colourful butterfly on her upper, inner forearm. It's a beautiful tattoo in a unique location that she has had for a few years now & is still quite proud of.
My uncle recently had his second tattoo done. It is in memory of my grandfather who passed away this past year. It's incredibly personal and very touching. My grandmother isn't crazy about tattoos (but she accepts her crazy kids/grandkids) and you can tell she is proud of it. Again, how can that be considered trendy or temporary? He's a professional, married to a professional.
My other uncle has Taz tattooed on his ankle. Ummm... not sure why, but it's about 15 years old & still looks great & he just loves it. He's since become a partner in a business that just won't stop growing.
I plan to return to school in the fall (took some time off to become a dive instructor :wink:) & after that (& some travelling) enter the professional world myself.

So, in summary, what I mean to say... is that to claim that all tattoos are merely part of a trend & that they have no long-term significance... is a false generalization. In fact I would feel safe in saying MOST of us that have some ink have it for reasons that will stay with us throughout our lives. When I had mine done I didn't care who had a tattoo & who didn't. In fact the only tat that ever influenced mine was my mother's as I have said, when choosing the location. And that most certainly has to be the complete opposite of trendiness.

nessum:
I'm shocked by the amount of tattoo bashing that has occured in this thread. Especially in regards to them being a result of "temporary feelings" or "trendy".
I have quite a few tattooed friends & family & quite a few that aren't.
I have one small tat on my right ankle (it's there because it is easy to hide, easy to display & it's hold some significance because that's where my mom had her first tattoo). It is a maple leaf with a yin yang symbol within it. Some may think it's trendy, but it is over 2 years old and still very much a part of who I am. The yin yang is a symbol representing balance & it reminds me to keep balance in my life. I find it truly does help to ground me. I knew I wanted this exact tattoo for 8 months before I took the plunge & had it done.
My mom's first tattoo was done when she was in her early 30's. It is a tiny heart with flowers/vines (she has a passion for plants/gardening) surrounding it with two vines at the bottom curling into two letter Js. They stand for my name & my brother's name. You can't tell me that something symbolic of a passion you've had for (at the tim about 15 years) & for your children is a "temporary feeling". Or trendy. Her second tattoo may be a little of both a (beautifully done) colourful butterfly on her upper, inner forearm. It's a beautiful tattoo in a unique location that she has had for a few years now & is still quite proud of.
My uncle recently had his second tattoo done. It is in memory of my grandfather who passed away this past year. It's incredibly personal and very touching. My grandmother isn't crazy about tattoos (but she accepts her crazy kids/grandkids) and you can tell she is proud of it. Again, how can that be considered trendy or temporary? He's a professional, married to a professional.
My other uncle has Taz tattooed on his ankle. Ummm... not sure why, but it's about 15 years old & still looks great & he just loves it. He's since become a partner in a business that just won't stop growing.
I plan to return to school in the fall (took some time off to become a dive instructor :wink:) & after that (& some travelling) enter the professional world myself.

So, in summary, what I mean to say... is that to claim that all tattoos are merely part of a trend & that they have no long-term significance... is a false generalization. In fact I would feel safe in saying MOST of us that have some ink have it for reasons that will stay with us throughout our lives. When I had mine done I didn't care who had a tattoo & who didn't. In fact the only tat that ever influenced mine was my mother's as I have said, when choosing the location. And that most certainly has to be the complete opposite of trendiness.

Why do you feel the need to explain yourself on why you have the tat? I have one as well and I do not feel the need to explain myself to anyone. Who cares what others think! as long as you like it, that's all that matters it is nobody's business but your own. Those that are quick to judge have a superiority complex and issues that they must deal with... My theory is: If you do not sleep in my bed it is none of your business.

goofystan:
...My theory is: If you do not sleep in my bed it is none of your business.
Excellent point of view. :thumb: I've had several people give me a "look" when they saw my upper arm tat but they don't matter so they have zero impact on my world.

goofystan:
Why do you feel the need to explain yourself on why you have the tat? I have one as well and I do not feel the need to explain myself to anyone.
I have two tattoos, each with its own special meaning. I haven't told anone why I have them and it's highly likely that it will stay that way... It's just too personal.

This is a tat of a yellowfin Tuna with an attitude. the actual scale and dimensions are directly from a piece of Guy Harvey art then had it embelished with attitude As you can see its not colored in. I like basic black and the only color tat i have is a 4 leaf clover. on my right shoulder. Next fish is a sailfish which will be swatting the clover. Also waiting on getting the bluefin tuna because i dont want all the tunas togather. The goal is to fill up the back as they caught will be in total. Yellowfin , Bluefin , sailfish , whitemarlin , blue marlin then a shipwreck most likely a WWII warship ( havent decided battleship , sub or destroyer yet.) across my waist line. the entire thing will be a mural with shading baits fish ,, ect

anyway here it is This photo was taken about 2 hrs after it was finished

I saw this mandarin goby I really like. Thought someone might be interested in a design like this! First time uploading so let's see if it works

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom