The $200 Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yep, that's all this budget minded diver is willing to spend for a camera. I am looking for a digital that eventually will take an underwater housing. Any suggestions?

Scuba_Jenny:
Yep, that's all this budget minded diver is willing to spend for a camera. I am looking for a digital that eventually will take an underwater housing. Any suggestions?

Are you thinking about NEW / USED / Refurb ??? I would take into consideration that most canon's have housings available from canon. Oly also makes SOME housings for their cameras.

Other cameras usually require aftermarket housings / ikelite, etc... so their housings would cost more than the other ones.

The canon housing for michelle's camera was $150... I got her camera (S70) for $250 on E-bay. So I would guess that you should be able to find something like that. (the S60 is only $200 on E-bay right now)

Minolta seems to do a good line on camera housings (they make housings for most of the Dimage X? series).

For small cameras they work pretty good, I like it simply because I can always take it with me (slips in a pocket). I'd advise AGAINST the latest one, I read that it has image stabilization but lacks decent ISO modes (can't do ISO 400 equivalent).

Edit: If you look at my gallery, other than the Flamingo Tongue, every other picture was taken with the Dimage XT just for reference

Scuba_Jenny:
Canon A610 - It's a new 5MP model that even has an Underwater white-balance setting - helps to reduce backscatter according to Canon.

I think Dell had them sub-$200 with a special rebate a couple of weeks ago or $229 here: http://froogle.google.com/froogle_c...24&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p

I've seen several sell new on eBay for right around $200.

And the Canon WP-DC90 housing is $160 anytime there.

We just did this for Xmas pressies - check out Canon's SD range (Ixus) and the A series. If you skip the newest models there are several that come in under $200.

I like the A series for the manual controls but those Ixus babies sure are cute for go anywhere! (You'll likely want the manual controls underwater.)

Scuba_Jenny:

Sure. eBay yourself a retired dive housing that takes an older digital camera. Pay $50.

Then go eBay the matching camera that you have been researching at the same time.

Get the whole thing for $300 or less.

Look for 2 meg cameras, more than adequate for 5x7 prints. They're dirt cheap.

RoatanMan:
Sure. eBay yourself a retired dive housing that takes an older digital camera. Pay $50.

Then go eBay the matching camera that you have been researching at the same time.

I recently did just that and ended up with a 4MP Olympus C-5000 and housing for about $250. The Oly case is really nice. The camera has it's good points and it's bad. If you end up looking at a C-5000 PM me and I'll let you know what I like/don't like about it.

devolution365:
If you end up looking at a C-5000 PM me and I'll let you know what I like/don't like about it.
Why not just start a new thread and share your likes and dislikes??

RoatanMan:

I agree. I did exactly the same thing with my original video housing... I bought the housing first, then found the camera that would fit it...

Back
Top Bottom