That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have any form of diabetes, you should have a note from your doctor.
This is a non sequitur, in the context of the question about cholesterol.

Just please, please, please don't tell your instructor or shop employees if you're lying. I'm not advocating lying (don't!) but if you do, and you tell them, you're putting them in a tough spot to either ignore a medical condition or refuse to work with you until you get it cleared.

I had a healthy adult come in and while filling out a form, they made the remark that they had a pretty serious injury the last year, but they were all better. And then they asked me if it was going to be an issue.

I had to tell them that it might not have been if they had kept to themselves, but because I knew (and I'm not a doctor) that they needed a release.
Agree. A re-phrasing of what Richard said.

My students get told right up front, as I indicated before, and Elena tries hard to get them to send us the forms ASAP. They don't listen and they often pencil whip them. Does both of us a disservice.

How much should we tell our customer up front? Here are come scenarios if there is an accident:
  • We tell them they can't dive unless all the "yes"es are checked...
    • Lawyers will contend that we forced their signature by exerting undue pressure.
  • We tell them that it's "just" a formality...
    • Lawyers will contend that we minimized the risk and encouraged the client to gloss over health problems.
  • We tell them that we will need a Doctor's OK if they answer "yes" to any medical questions...
    • I actually do this, but one agency lawyer suggested that I'm giving them a reason to deceive me if they are lazy. Trust is a two way street. I trust my student to be honest and I'm going to be honest right back with them. Gentle but honest.
Agree. Simplest way is just say what the form means straight out. If they deceive the shop that is their problem. I specifically remember that is what we were told when I took OW 12 years ago. Don't recall any "winks".

This is a non sequitur, in the context of the question about cholesterol.
Sry. I had a Spicer moment.

Again, it's a matter of trust. If you don't think it's too high, then don't put that it's too high. How do you honestly feel about your cholesterol?

FWIW, I recently changed my username from NetDoc because people were asking me doctor questions. I don't like doctor questions. If the doctor suggests that your Cholesterol is high, then ask them how you should pencil in the form. If they say you need to pencil in "high", then ask them for a clearance note on the spot.

I would imagine a pilots license requires a medical questionnaire or release

In the USA, balloon pilots, glider pilots, or sport pilots do not need to have an aviation medical certificate to exercise their privileges. As long as the pilot certifies that he/she has no known medical conditions that might be a safety hazard, and has not been denied a medical in the past, a U.S. driver's license is all that is needed. Private pilot and up do require a medical examination.

In the USA, all skydivers must meet the USPA's Basic Safety Requirements for medical fitness. This simply means you have to be in good health and physical condition to skydive and should not be on medication which could affect judgment or performance. You also cannot skydive if you have been SCUBA diving within the last few days.

In both instances mentioned above, there is a requirement that you are knowledgeable about the conditions that might contraindicate the activity and that you seek professional medical advice if those conditions exist. I would be perfectly fine with self-certification for recreational diving. I think most on the board would be also.

I don't like doctor questions. If the doctor suggests that your Cholesterol is high, then ask them how you should pencil in the form. If they say you need to pencil in "high", then ask them for a clearance note on the spot.

Yeah, OK, it's not high enough to require a lifetime supply of affordable statins, so I can honestly and intergritiously... integraciously? -- answer "no" and we can happily go on building our mutual trust from there.

Last edited:
Say I have one of those vague questions like family history of strokes. Yes, my mother at 90 had a stroke, as probably does every mother, who reaches 90. I have a yearly check up and specifically ask my doctor about diving. He says fine. I can honestly say that neither I nor my doctor has any knowledge of problems. I fail to see why just answering no to the questions is any sort of major lie. Nothing is being hidden. No information of use to the shop is being withheld. I am fulfilling the purpose and intent of the questionaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom