That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think the student is free to take their wallet elsewhere.
You've just got to find someone with lower standards or to whom you're willing to lie to. Again, it's a matter of trust and liability.

This is a strange thread..

A yes requires a Physician's approval. Not a big deal. If there are reasons a Physician thinks an individual shouldn't dive, why would you not want to follow his/her advice? They aren't blathering idiots and if they don't know, will refer to a Physician who knows diving. They aren't the enemy.

If you don't want to share your medical info, then buy a compressor and do your own thing.

So blackouts and recurrent back problems is one and the same? And is "high" cholesterol level the current US "must put on statin" number? Or some other number, like 42?

Just please, please, please don't tell your instructor or shop employees if you're lying. I'm not advocating lying (don't!) but if you do, and you tell them, you're putting them in a tough spot to either ignore a medical condition or refuse to work with you until you get it cleared.

I had a healthy adult come in and while filling out a form, they made the remark that they had a pretty serious injury the last year, but they were all better. And then they asked me if it was going to be an issue.

I had to tell them that it might not have been if they had kept to themselves, but because I knew (and I'm not a doctor) that they needed a release.

To anyone...

So just to clarify, a student or diver is required to share medical information, not just a release, if requested by the instructor or dive op?

This statement from the padi form:. "You must complete this
Medical Statement, which includes the medical questionnaire section, to
enroll in the scuba training program. "

Last edited by a moderator:
You've just got to find someone with lower standards or to whom you're willing to lie to. Again, it's a matter of trust and liability.

Actually, that's not the point: I have no problem bringing a signed form from my doctor to the class. Or to the boat, assuming I was told about it sufficiently far in advance. I have a problem with the questionnaire.

Edit: back when I was a kid in Soviet Rusha, everyone brought a standard medical form to the pool. Annually or whatever, I don't remember. That's what required means. If a student can pick a pool that does not ask for it, that means they are not required. It's simple as black and white, "trust" or "liability" aren't the point either. Unless yours is the only pool in the country.

Last edited:
assuming I was told about it sufficiently far in advance.
My students get told right up front, as I indicated before, and Elena tries hard to get them to send us the forms ASAP. They don't listen and they often pencil whip them. Does both of us a disservice.

How much should we tell our customer up front? Here are come scenarios if there is an accident:
  • We tell them they can't dive unless all the "yes"es are checked...
    • Lawyers will contend that we forced their signature by exerting undue pressure.
  • We tell them that it's "just" a formality...
    • Lawyers will contend that we minimized the risk and encouraged the client to gloss over health problems.
  • We tell them that we will need a Doctor's OK if they answer "yes" to any medical questions...
    • I actually do this, but one agency lawyer suggested that I'm giving them a reason to deceive me if they are lazy. Trust is a two way street. I trust my student to be honest and I'm going to be honest right back with them. Gentle but honest.

Excluding organized sports, are there any other recreational activities that require similar questionnaires and releases?

• We tell them that we will need a Doctor's OK if they answer "yes" to any medical questions...

I ask again: what is your number for "high" cholesterol? If I had an L4/L5 "issue", do I answer "yes" to the "fainting spells" question? And will be lying to you if I answer "no"?

All that circlejerk is very easily avoided by telling them to bring the doctor's ok full stop.

Excluding organized sports, are there any other recreational activities that require similar questionnaires and releases?
I would imagine a pilots liscence requires a medical questionnaire or release

I ask again: what is your number for "high" cholesterol?
I'm not a doctor. If you have any form of diabetes, you should have a note from your doctor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom