Thanks for dinner, OBXDIVEGUY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Went out off of Dania yesterday with OBXDIVEGUY and ChillyWilly for a dive. The current was ripping south and it took us a while to reach our destination. Once there, we were rewarded with some decent vis and a variety of sealife. OBXDIVEGUY spotted a couple lobster. I saw them also and was hoping that he would pick the bigger of the two to capture. After OBXDIVEGUY worked at getting him out of his hole, I grabbed him with my net and both hands. Dang! He was big and I really hoped that he would not wrestle free. He was even trouble getting into the bag. To make a long, exciting story short, the end result was a show stopper of a bug! Once on shore, we gained the attention of quite a few onlookers who's general comment was "Holy ****! that's a big lobster!" Some guy had a thingy that weighs fish and the weight was confirmed at Coastal Marine. 4lbs!

OBXDIVEGUY thanks for finding the bug! I learned that even big lobster are tasty and not tough!

congrats on the bug! we went out for an afternoon on the gulf in search of bugs the other day, and didnt find a single one!

It was definetely a rockstar moment showing that thing off! I'll post picts as soon as I can.

Always a great time and adventure, jenny!

Dinner when it was still alive. On my size Med Jet Fin
9-10-060092.jpg

With two just legal sized lobsters for reference.
9-10-060062.jpg

Yoicks!!! I have never seen such a huge dragon on a beach dive. In fact, a bug that size is rare at any depth. Did you actually measure the carapace before bagging it? LOL! Congratulations!

Everything was big that day. Including the giant starfish and the ripping current! I'm glad you were able to post those picts Jenny. I'm out of town this week, but lets try for a SNAFU trip next weekend and maybe a night dive Wed.

I have seen so Monster Bugs offshore in around 16' here. I have NEVER caught one though! Congrats!

The ledges here go back 20' to 50' and go on and on. It takes several divers and VERY long poles to poke the big ones out. This year so far the tops is 15#. YIKES!

I guess you hold on the the horns and point the tail to shore and let it scooter you in.. mind the BullSharks though.

Jenny - - Congrats on the dinner.

PS- did you name it.

PSS- HEY wait! OBXDIVEGUY spotted it, Coaxed it from the hole and YOU ate it? Vixen you.

:D
Yes, I named it. "Dinner."
And I did offer to cook it for OBXDIVEGUY, but he had to work. The offer still holds for the smaller ones. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom