Thank You Oahu (a dive report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As some of you may have known, my buddy and I visited the lovely island of Oahu, last week. We dived with Lisa (Justleesa) and her husband, Roger (Turtleguy). I apologize for not being able to meet more of our fellow Scubaboarders, but apparently I was working on a nice case of sinus infection and was exhausted between dives. Spent most of my spare time in the room, sleeping.

Okay, on with the report.

Our first dive was the Corsair. We were in a relatively small boat (12 pack) and the sea's surface was choppy, so it was a bit of a rough start. However, it was well worth the effort.

Corsair-edited.jpg

There was a large colony of garden eels at this site, which quickly disappeared as we approached to investigate. All in all, a pretty cool site.

Next, we dived Angelfish Reef (probably named for the multitudes of angelfish residing there--I'm a trained observer).

We spotted angelfish (of course), trumpetfish, eels, tobys, nudibranch and, let's see if I can spell this right, the world famous humubumunekenukuapuaa. We saw the latter on other sites, as well, but I refuse to type it, again. It shall from here on out be referred to as "That Hawaiian Fish".

Lisa pointed out this beautiful leaf scorpion and grumpy devil scorpionfish.
leaf-scorpion.jpg

devil-scorpionfish.jpg

On day two, Roger accompanied us out to the Sea Tiger. Conditions were wonderful. The sea was flat calm and the day was simply perfect. We saw octopus, pillow stars, eels, puffers, butterflyfish, etc.

Sea-Tiger-overall-deck.jpg

On the surface interval, somebody pointed off the port side and yelled "Dolphins". We turned and sure enough, there was a huge pod of spinner dolphins playing off in the distance. I had never seen these guys before and was highly impressed at how high they could jump out of the water and how many times they could spin before going under, again. What's more, they were heading right toward us. The approached the boat fairly closely, then headed away from us. I was SO disappointed!

Finally, we completed our SI and dived in at Horseshoe Reef. It was here that I discovered why Roger was called "Turtleguy". We saw the biggest turtle I had ever seen, just napping on the bottom, not a care in the world. This site was loaded with all kinds of various marine life.

On the way back to the boat, Roger signalled for us to listen. I did as he asked and soon heard the dolphins. They seemed to be coming closer and closer. Finally, there they were, playing at the surface overhead. Oh what a treat to watch them from underwater! That had to be one of my best dive experiences ever. Unfortunately, they were far enough away that I did not get a decent photo. Lisa may be able to do something with the pics I got, so we'll see.

(continued below)

The third day, we dived the wreck of the Mahi, where we were fortunate enough to dive with several spotted eagle rays (I'm working on the photos).

Mahi-overall-deck.jpg

This was another very nice wreck with a wide range of life on it, including this curious
scrawled filefish:
scrawled-filefish.jpg

After SI, we dived the Makaha Caverns, where Roger showed off his abilities in locating his namesake:
napping-turtle-2.jpg

We also saw whitetipped reefsharks, octopus, eels, leafy scorpion, trumpetfish and the dreaded "Hawaiian Fish".

On our last day, we dived the wreck of the YO-257. On this day, we had a pretty good current running, but it was still a pretty cool dive.

This little guy was napping on the wreck:
napping-turtle.jpg

Here's another turtle cruising over the wreck:
turtle-cruising-over-YO.jpg

This is my dive buddy ascending under the mooring ball above the YO:
ascending-mooring-ball.jpg

Our final dive was done at Turtle Canyon. Guess what? There are turtles there! Too many to count!
turtle-2.jpg

We also encountered octopus, trumpets, bird wrasse (cool fish), a lone cornetfish and yes, the dreaded "Hawaiian Fish".

All in all, I was extremely impressed with Roger and Lisa and Oahu Scuba Divers. I had considered just chartering a boat, but wanted to dive the best wrecks Oahu had to offer. I was not disappointed.

We were given wakeup calls each day and picked up at our hotel to be driven where we needed to go. This meant that I could catch a few extra z's before and after diving (a very good thing, in my case) and leave the driving and navigation to someone else. They even gave us a ride home, after! LOL! We were provided towels to use (clean ones, everyday, heh-heh).

After each dive day, we were treated to a picnic lunch (something different, each day). Every meal was delicious! As we ate, we filled out dive logs, provided by Oahu Scuba Divers, including stamps of various marine life, created by Lisa.

We found both Lisa and Roger to be very safety conscious, knowledgable of diving, marine life and dive sites, friendly, and above all, extremely professional. I was also impressed with the boats they charted for us. We both highly recommend them for your Oahu scuba diving needs.

wow...very nice!

sorry you were a bit under the weather.

Nice report!
Thanks you for your sharing

catherine96821:
sorry you were a bit under the weather.
Thanks!

At least I didn't get sick until I got home. It would have been awful to have missed out on diving or to be miserable on the plane.

Sorry I missed you! I, too, had a guest in town. She is a non-diver, though, so it was surface stuff for us.

That is so great that you got to see dolphins playing above you! Roger seems to attrack stuff that we local divers don't get to see. I think he has the magic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom