Thank you DLNR and HPD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Thank you dlnr and ( omg this is hard) hpd ( now that one made my chest hurt)
yesterday was up at north shore diving with the very cool peeps at surf and sea at sharks cove. we were getting out of the water when two guys were entering the water carrying a spear gun and a three prong i jammed the guy up and asked him if he realized this was a protected area. his response was yeah i know im just going to stretch some new bands.when we got back to the van my living angel gave me umpteen different reasons why i had to call it in to dlnr. i returned fire by saying it was a waste of time but she pushed the issue. anyone else i would have just ignored at that point but the truth was all my life I have lived by certain rules and principles. one of the biggest was never call the cops no matter what. i suffer from what is know as a snitch complex. meaning I have a fear of being a snitch. but she didnt let me off the hook she called and handed me the phone I gave them the info and that was that. well today she called me and told me that those guys got sited hpd was waiting for them when they got out the water.im sure it was the right thing to do im just not the right person to do i think. anyway just thought i would let you know that it does work maybe not every time but it works.

What's the point in having a law if it's not going to be enforced?

Society relies on "good people" to do the right thing and advise the authorities when a law has been blatantly broken.

You're good people... don't worry about feeling like a snitch -- if you hadn't called, think of what raping that diver might have done to Shark's Cove!

You're good people... don't worry about feeling like a snitch -- if you hadn't called, think of what raping that diver might have done to Shark's Cove!

The guys who are inexperienced enough to go spearfishing at shark's cove probably are not very good shots. So the damage is probably minimal.

Why would someone still go in the water after somebody confronted them already? They should know you'd call the cops. Darwin awards material right there.

DLNR is slow to respond about a lot of stuff, but they're good when it comes to fishing in closed areas.

The guys who are inexperienced enough to go spearfishing at shark's cove probably are not very good shots. So the damage is probably minimal.

Why would someone still go in the water after somebody confronted them already? They should know you'd call the cops. Darwin awards material right there.

DLNR is slow to respond about a lot of stuff, but they're good when it comes to fishing in closed areas.
True... but I'm not just thinking about that day -- I'm thinking about "hey... they didn't do anything last time -- I'll go back there, there were lots of fish!" after he gets some experience.

Must have been a big weekend for it. My buddies and I pulled into firehouse on Saturday morning (about 0830) to a completely empty parking lot at both 3 tables and firehouse. We were amazed that 0830 on a saturday and there was NOBODY out. The only car we did see was a single van in the firehouse parking lot. About 10 minutes into our setup a DLNR truck pulled in and started looking at the van. He comes over to us, after taking some pictures of the van, and told us how he had just snuck up on some poachers over at Waimea. He said his buddy and he had slinked down the hill and caught them. They thought the van might belong to them.

I too think you made the right decision. Marine sanctuaries stop being sanctuaries if no-one calls foul when they see illegal activity going on...after all, the folk from DNLR must be stretched pretty thin and can't be everywhere to enforce those standards themselves.

yeah im sure i "did" the right thing but it still left a crappy taste in my Dr.pepper. feel like i just lost my ghetto pass. well ok I guess i can live with this. but I still aint eating no spam mutsabis and I aint saying "da kine" brah. that would just kill my L.A boy statis.... ok back to diving. :rofl3:

ps. please dont tell drew or mike. man i would never hear the end of it.

yeah im sure i "did" the right thing but it still left a crappy taste in my Dr.pepper. feel like i just lost my ghetto pass.
You did good. Everyone has to draw a line in the sand some place, at some time, and say to themselves: "this shiite stops here".

Back
Top Bottom