thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay:
Thailand is not known for shore diving, though there are a couple of places that have some decent nearby diving. While they're not the prettiest dive sites we have out of Phuket, you could stay on the island called Koh Racha Yai and do both shore diving and some very nearby diving from a small boat. There's Phi Phi, too, though it's somewhat pricier to stay there.

Stan:
Are your non-diving companions into snorkeling? You could get on a boat that does both...

Thanks for the help. The non divers want to hang on the beach. In the carribean I have been able to combine the family winter vacation with a dive trip. So I need to get back earlier in the day. I was hoping to try something new this year, but I'm not dragging the family half way around the world to get only mediocore diving
How close is the good diving to Koh Phi Phi. and what type of diving is there?
Where else would you suggest diving around there that has great diving, but close by day boat?

Stan -- First of all, if your yardstick is Caribbean diving, you won't be disappointed even with our "mediocre" dives. Even the dives here that in relative terms we consider only "okay" rather than "fantastic" have more prolific marine life than anything I've seen at the six different Caribbean destinations I've dived at. Having said that, I agree that since you'll be over here, you should try to dive at our very best dive sites.

Next, it may be important for you to prioritize which aspect of your trip is most important in terms of such a long journey--diving every day or family beach time every day. If it's beach time, you may have to compromise on your diving; if it's diving, you may have to compromise on your daily beach time.

For example, as a compromise on daily diving, you could stay in the Khao Lak area north of Phuket and dive every couple of days, all day, rather than half a day every day. The dive sites are simply too far away for half-day trips. Or, as a compromise on daily beach time, you could get on a snorkel + dive liveaboard boat for a few days with your family (no beach but one or two island visits maybe, and some kayaking perhaps) and after your return sit on the beach without diving for the remainder of your trip.

A third option would be to charter a catamaran for your family and plan your time the way you want it--island hopping, beach exploration, diving, kayaking, snorkeling--as much or as little as you like. The national parks that we dive at are made up almost entirely of uninhabited islands (one reason many of the dive sites require long boat rides), and sailing around to and among them on your private charter is a real thrill, a trip of a lifetime.

My point is that every dive destination has its unique characteristics, and not all of them allow for twenty-minute trips to the dive sites in a little boat. You might find something like what you have in mind at Phi Phi, and there are a few very nice dive sites there, but for the most part the dive sites around Phi Phi are fairly average in comparison with those at the Similans, and again, if you are coming all the way over here, why not dive at the best sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom