Thailand: What gear to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say a torch is a must have on all dives, but that's just my opinion. Really nice to have when critter hunting. When i have divers with me, everyone always appreciates it, and many wish they would have had their own.

Another must in my opinion when diving in thailand is a safety sausage.

I say a torch is a must have on all dives, but that's just my opinion. Really nice to have when critter hunting. When i have divers with me, everyone always appreciates it, and many wish they would have had their own.

Another must in my opinion when diving in thailand is a safety sausage.

Yes! I certainly always carry a torch for just that reason on all my dives, but nothing as bulky/fancy as a can light or a big one like I use when diving at night. My daytime torches have a narrow and bright beam--perfect for shining into crevices in rocks for critter hunting. I also always carry an SMB, and it's a good idea for every diver to have one. Both of these items are readily available here for purchase, and not terribly expensive.

Sesna from Europe, you are misinformed, or worse, joking at the expense of those of us who are actually here and really know what's going on. We've heard above that it's peaceful in Pattaya, at Koh Chang, and I can confirm the same for Phuket. No protests, no unrest... no problem in coming to Phuket.

My location has nothing to do with it, and I am neither misinformed or joking.

I am aware that currently the problem exists around the Bangkok area. Nevertheless Department of Foreign Affairs in my country has warned against all but essential travel.

Also, why so touchy if I was just joking? You have a vested interest here, I dont.

My location has nothing to do with it, and I am neither misinformed or joking.

I am aware that currently the problem exists around the Bangkok area. Nevertheless Department of Foreign Affairs in my country has warned against all but essential travel.

Also, why so touchy if I was just joking? You have a vested interest here, I dont.

Despite the fact that your earlier post added nothing of substance to the OPs query (about what dive gear to bring) and can be viewed as fear-mongering, I am replying here in nothing but a friendly manner and will answer your questions honestly.

I'm "touchy" because to me bazookas are not a laughing matter. Not here, not ever.

Yes, I have a vested interest in that I live here and do not like to see the entire Kingdom isolated because some countries (including my own country of nationality) have overreacted and issued unwarranted blanket statements when in fact whatever potential danger exists does not actually extend nationwide. To my knowledge, no government has evacuated its non-essential personnel--not even from Bangkok--and unless that happens, you can be assured that the country is quite safe for any reasonably cautious tourist to visit. Government warnings are really meant to keep away the kind of tourist whose photo posing with armed soldiers appears in the papers and those who think taking snapshots of a barricade is an acceptable tourist activity. Governments are protecting citizens from their own stupidity more than from any random violence that might befall them while they are here. It's easy for outsiders to take pot shots, since they are never hurt by them. So your location does make a difference.

The fact remains that you are misinformed, possibly because you fail to realize to what degree most news reports have been sensationalised. Here is some actual, un-pumped-up-in-order-to-sell-adverts information that might help you gain a perspective on the state of things. I have an apartment in the heart of Bangkok as well as a place of business on Phuket; security forces have set up a relaxation area in my Bangkok soi (small street), only blocks from the main protest area. The disturbances are very much contained, and even in Bangkok, 99.9% of people are going about their daily business in the usual manner. Outside of Bangkok, particularly in the southern tourist areas (of which Phuket--a thousand kilometers away--is a part, and the OP wants to come to Phuket), that figure rises to 100%. Yes, 100% of us are going about our daily activities with no effect whatsoever on our lives--other than the fact that we cannot work if our livelihoods are ripped away by needless hype that it's dangerous to come here. If it were that dangerous, we would leave, believe me.

No bazookas are needed here, nor are any "jokes" about them.

Violent confrontations between security forces and protestors on 10 April left over twenty people dead and hundreds more injured. On 22 April, grenade attacks on the public transport system in central Bangkok left at least one dead and over eighty injured, including a number of foreigners. On 26/27 April, protestors set up barricades, blocking police and security forces from mobilising at various locations throughout Thailand, although the Government has now managed to significantly increase the number of troops in central Bangkok.

There have been several small bomb attacks during February, March and April in various locations around Bangkok, including outside public buildings, army barracks and banks. The possibility of further bomb or grenade attacks cannot be ruled out.

I simply posted a mild warning with a bit of humour - I did not realise certain things were outside the realm of what can be described as a laughing matter - especially considering bazooka ranges etc are widely available for tourists in countries bordering Thailand such as Cambodia and Laos, but you seem intent on shooting the messenger.

Sesna, I think we all got it was a joke. But you do hit on the current reality. IMO, times are indeed changing in Thailand, but things are contained. The reality of the situation is that nobody can give an absolute prediction of safety, but the expat community on SB seems to voice consistently not to worry. Use common sense. For all sides, tourism is an essential part of the economy and the fight is not with the tourist industry but amongst other issues. We are an essential part of the economy. Mobs of any kind can be dangerous so one needs be mindful of what is happening.

I have a wheeled gear bag, so will bring most of my own stuff.
I will leave at home my 7mm suit, hood, kevlar gloves, steel tank, weights and bazooka.

I would imagine the bazooka would be tough to get through the TSA. Geez, I worry about my dive knife in my checked baggage.

Pattaya is same same :)

What about the red shirt protests that are currently outside city hall in Pattaya Nua that resulted in someone driving past a few nights ago and firing a gun into the air?

What about the meetings that were held on waste ground in Soi Kaotalo that were part of the prelims to the current protests in Bangkok? These meetings that were held over a period of some months themselves did not pass without incident.

I could continue to quote such incidents.

so I am sorry, but what you have said here is simply not true. Having said that I would not advise anyone to not come to Thailand, simply point out the facts and let each individual make up their own mind.

Anyone that is interested in information relating in particular to the Pattaya area could look at the Pattaya one website, below are several links relating to the current protests. Much more information is on their website.

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-n...otect-their-local-radio-station-from-closure/
http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/19173/gunfire-at-red-shirt-camp-outside-pattaya-city-hall/
http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-n...tests-continue-in-front-of-pattaya-city-hall/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom