Thailand: What gear to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTinSD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am coming to Thailand for two weeks (+) in January 2011. I will be in Phuket for much of that time, looking at ~7 diving days. Hopefully my budget will allow a few days in the Similans, an overnight to Phi Phi, and a couple of day trips.

What gear should I bring?
YES - Mask (prescription lenses).
YES - Snorkel.
YES - Dive computer.
YES - Dive log w/cert cards.
YES - Save-a-dive kit.
NO - 7mm exposure suit and hood.
?? - Lights (torches).
?? - Knives.
?? - Gloves. Summer ones? Kevlar?
?? - Booties. Worth bringing?
?? - Fins. Mine are nothing special.
?? - Reg/octo. I like my reg.
?? - BC. Nothing special.

I don't usually check bags, but can do so to bring what is recommended. I don't have to pay if I do check bags and I have a serviceable dive bag. If I can save on rental costs that is a good thing.

I don't get cold easily, and am unsure about the exposure protection requirements. My LDS is having their big tent sale this weekend, and I may see what they have. 3mm? Full or shorty?

Thanks for input.

JTinSD

Wow, a little advance planning :) DAN, don't leave home without it. Seriously, the best insurance and a must IMO. I've seen how they helped a divemate of mine first hand. I was always and advocate but now more then ever.

You can rent anything you forget. I would recommend taking an AOW course prior so you can get the most out of your holiday diving, especially if you dive the Similans. This may also help you figure out how you want to kit up for different dive conditions. Gain experience with a safety sausage. A great skill for all divers, especially while diving the Similans. Consider a Liveaboard that time of year. I been on a Similans LA 3 times and loved every one of them.

I am coming to Thailand for two weeks (+) in January 2011. I will be in Phuket for much of that time, looking at ~7 diving days. Hopefully my budget will allow a few days in the Similans, an overnight to Phi Phi, and a couple of day trips.

YES - Mask (prescription lenses).
YES - Snorkel.
YES - Dive computer.
YES - Dive log w/cert cards.
YES - Save-a-dive kit.
NO - 7mm exposure suit and hood.
?? - Lights (torches).
If you plan on a night dive (probably on the Phi Phi overnight) it's nice to have the light you are familiar with. Also, good to have the backup light to look in holes during the day.
?? - Knives.
No issues taking in checked baggage. Like any other dive, you almost certainly won't need it but if I do I want to know where to find my knife.
?? - Gloves. Summer ones? Kevlar?
You will probably have the opportunity to dive the King Cruiser, but gloves are frowned upon otherwise.
?? - Booties. Worth bringing?
If you are taking your own fins with straps, not otherwise.
?? - Fins. Mine are nothing special.
?? - Reg/octo. I like my reg.
The rentals are okay but I'd rather have my own
?? - BC. Nothing special.
Nice to know where everything is on my own BC. Once, a few years back, the rental was very well used and had a pin hole leak.

I don't usually check bags, but can do so to bring what is recommended. I don't have to pay if I do check bags and I have a serviceable dive bag. If I can save on rental costs that is a good thing.

I don't get cold easily, and am unsure about the exposure protection requirements. My LDS is having their big tent sale this weekend, and I may see what they have. 3mm? Full or shorty?

Thanks for input.

JTinSD
I have always been okay with a shorty. Diving the Similans in November a fews years back, water temperature was generally 82-84 F with an occasional thermocline getting down to 78. But I also bring my own insulation (permanent).

Last edited:
My advice, embedded in your message below, in icons and color:

:thumb: - Mask (prescription lenses).

:thumb: - Snorkel. can be useful to jump in and try to snorkel with dolphins or with the turtles at Donald Duck Bay, or of course, just to snorkel when you can't dive

:thumb: - Dive computer.

:thumb: - Dive log w/cert cards.

:idk: Maybe a few items - Save-a-dive kit. if you have an extra strap for your mask, or fin straps should you decide to bring your fins, those would be good, but otherwise you don't need too much along those lines; boats have o-rings, and there's no need to bring tools unless you fiddle with your regs a lot.

:thumbdown: - 7mm exposure suit and hood.it's way too warm here for that kind of exposure protection; some people who don't get cold dive in board shorts and rash guards--if you want exposure protection, you can easily rent a standard 3mm shorty available through every op

:thumbdown: - Lights (torches).Just get one of the boat's torches for night dives; that way you don't have to worry about having batteries or if the charger can charge on 220v rather than the 110 you have in SD

:idk: - Knives. Well, not plural, anyway. We don't have knives for rent, so if you feel strongly that you need one, bring one along. Most people dive without them here. We don't have kelp that can entangle you like you have at home, but of course there is always a very slight chance you might want a cutting device.

:thumbdown: - Gloves. Summer ones? Kevlar? No need for gloves here. The water is very warm, and we don't have to hold on to barnacle-covered rocks to keep from being swept away by currents, so gloves can and should just stay home.

:idk: Maybe - Booties. Worth bringing? If you bring open heel fins along or plan to buy better fins here. Our rental fins are all full-foot fins, so if you rent, booties will be of no use to you. If you buy new fins, at least you know you've got booties that fit comfortably.

:idk: Maybe - Fins. Mine are nothing special. As noted above, our rentals are typcially full-foot fins. If you are happy to wear the rentals (also nothing special) leave yours at home. You could also buy a pair of fins while you're here. There's a good variety available through various shops.

:thumb: - Reg/octo. I like my reg. Then bring your regs! Our rentals are mainly sturdy, unbalanced ones.

:idk: Maybe - BC. Nothing special. You could just rent one of our BCs here. A BC is the bulkiest piece of dive gear to pack, apart from fins, and if you don't want to check bags for a BC you're not in love with, there's no need to bring it. On the other hand, you can expect to spend around US$10/day to rent a BCD, so for 7 days of diving, it might be worthwhile bringing it along.

If you don't get cold easily, a 3mm shorty is enough here, though a lot of us working here dive with 3mm full suits.

Thanks for input.
My pleasure!

JTinSD

The way things are progressing over there, Jack Bauer and a bazooka might come in handy too

More like come single and bring a hat for the sun :)

The way things are progressing over there, Jack Bauer and a bazooka might come in handy too

Sesna from Europe, you are misinformed, or worse, joking at the expense of those of us who are actually here and really know what's going on. We've heard above that it's peaceful in Pattaya, at Koh Chang, and I can confirm the same for Phuket. No protests, no unrest... no problem in coming to Phuket.

I walked through the main protest area earlier today from Siam to Central Chitlom after getting off the BTS. Pretty calm with plenty of food and souvenirs to buy. It is definitely contained. Still much safer than many areas I have lived in previously.

Back
Top Bottom