Thailand: What gear to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still stand by Same Same. Will dive this weekend and not too worried.

Still stand by Same Same. Will dive this weekend and not too worried.

I have just returned from a few weeks in Koh Chang today (its getting a bit wet now for my liking) and again not too worried about any protests in Pattaya, they are easilly avoided, and generally up to now have been small and have not been in areas of the city that would concern tourists too much.
However to say there have been no protests in Pattaya is misleading and untrue.
There have been some posts on this thread that would imply that the vast majority of tourists are stupid, I also do not subscribe to that line of thought, personally prefering to state facts and let people draw their own conclusions and make their own decissions. The small irresponsible element are responsible for their own actions and I have no sympathy with anyone that runs into difficulties through their own stupidity.
But then again I dont have a financial interest in tourists coming to Thailand. Having said that I still stick by my recent post and would certainly not advise anyone to not visit Pattaya or Thailand as a whole.
Thailand is a great country, protests or no protests, but in these current uncertain times tourists simply need to exercise a little caution and use common sence when they are selecting places to visit. And yes in my opinion, currently there are places that would be best avoided.

I am coming to Thailand for two weeks (+) in January 2011. I will be in Phuket for much of that time, looking at ~7 diving days. Hopefully my budget will allow a few days in the Similans, an overnight to Phi Phi, and a couple of day trips.

What gear should I bring?
YES - Mask (prescription lenses).
YES - Snorkel.
YES - Dive computer.
YES - Dive log w/cert cards.
YES - Save-a-dive kit.
NO - 7mm exposure suit and hood.
?? - Lights (torches).
?? - Knives.
?? - Gloves. Summer ones? Kevlar?
?? - Booties. Worth bringing?
?? - Fins. Mine are nothing special.
?? - Reg/octo. I like my reg.
?? - BC. Nothing special.

I don't usually check bags, but can do so to bring what is recommended. I don't have to pay if I do check bags and I have a serviceable dive bag. If I can save on rental costs that is a good thing.

I don't get cold easily, and am unsure about the exposure protection requirements. My LDS is having their big tent sale this weekend, and I may see what they have. 3mm? Full or shorty?

Thanks for input.

JTinSD

The recent escapade I was taken on.
Mask, snorkel and finns would have been sufficient. Mask being debatable, but I suppose it did allow me a clearer view of the sand and sea urchins.

Great diving this weekend in Sameasan (40 minutes from Pattaya City). No issues, curfew lifted on Friday and all was peaceful. Vis is not going to be 30m as previously noted through the rants on Pattaya diving, but if you like to dive it is more than fine. 4-6m, plenty to see if you know what to look for IMO. No dig meant at anyone. I have been diving these sites for 4 years. Looking for smaller things makes it much more interesting. Dive guide recommended if your new to the sites. I would not discourage anyone, just my opinion.

On a really disturbing note, large evidence of coral bleaching at Shark Fin. My computer recorded 34c bottom temp at about 16m. Some variations from 32, 33 and mine from other divers, but the point being it is awfully warm. Let's hope the showers LK witnessed spread a bit more and start cooling things fast!

Last edited:
Great diving this weekend in Sameasan (40 minutes from Pattaya City). No issues, curfew lifted on Friday and all was peaceful. Vis is not going to be 30m as previously noted through the rants on Pattaya diving, but if you like to dive it is more than fine. 4-6m, plenty to see if you know what to look for IMO. No dig meant at anyone. I have been diving these sites for 4 years. Looking for smaller things makes it much more interesting. Dive guide recommended if your new to the sites. I would not discourage anyone, just my opinion.

On a really disturbing note, large evidence of coral bleaching at Shark Point. My computer recorded 34c bottom temp at about 16m. Some variations from 32, 33 and mine from other divers, but the point being it is awfully warm. Let's hope the showers LK witnessed spread a bit more and start cooling things fast!

Quite right, 'Shark fin' as I know the site, I presume we are talking about the same location is a good dive, poss my favourite in the area. Personally I prefer it to diving the Hard deep wreck which most seem to head for at Samae San.
Unfortunately the heavy rain that I saw was in Koh Chang a couple of weeks back, always the same there in the summer. Never get rain in the same amounts around the Pattaya / Sattahip area.

Shark Fin is correct. Will update the previous post, thanks. Glad to see you like this site as well.

On a really disturbing note, large evidence of coral bleaching at Shark Fin. My computer recorded 34c bottom temp at about 16m.

Hi Arizona,

Sorry to be a bit uninformed on this topic. I did not quite understand why natural variations in ocean water temperatures which causes coral bleaching and other marine phenomena is, as you posted "really disturbing". Do you mind to elaborate?

As an relatively uninformed person on this topic, it appears, at first brush, that increases in ocean marine temperature is a natural phenomena and is simply a part of the normal life cycle of a vast ecosystem.

What am I missing?

It seems this particular season is warmer and as a result greater observation of coral bleaching has been observed. Is it caused by global weather anomalies such as El Nino or human induced climate change? I am trying to learn more myself and also find out what others are observing in the Coral Bleaching Thailand thread.

Back
Top Bottom