Thailand vs. other options - Need help with dive trip selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be doing an Asia trip (from U.S.) which includes business in both Hong Kong and Japan. I'd like to schedule a 7-10 day vacation between (or at end) of these two destinations.

I'm an experienced diver (500+ dives) but I'll be with my non-diving wife (thus no live aboards, and some top-side activity would be good but not required).

It would be nice to have a destination that has some ease from HKG or NRT (thus preference for Cathay or JAL), but if this is too limiting then it's not required.

We are looking for a location that says "worth traveling half-way around the world for", but also I want excellent diving. We're happy with local experiences, we don't need high-end or pampering (e.g. don't need a fancy hotel, I'm happy on skiff boats in fact the smaller the better in avoiding crowded dive boats).

Is there any destination that is a single flight from HKG or NRT? If not, then what's the next level of ease? We'll consider Thailand, Malaysia and other parts of SE Asia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc.

Thanks for your assistance!

-Leo

What time of year are you coming to Asia? Could be important because of seasonal influences.

Phuket would be a direct flight from Hong Kong and has year round diving.

Still to be determined, but June, July or September or November.

Are the best dive sites on Phuket short boat trips each morning (while I'll leave my wife alone while diving, best to have short trip times to offset that)?

Again, doesn't have to be Thailand (as much as I'd love to visit), but I know this board has some of the most knowledgeable divers of the Asia boards. Thanks!

From Phuket, apart from the longtail or shoredives (possible in November from the months you mention) the trips are always full daytrips.

Hopefully somebody else will chip in and give you some other ideas.

Leo,
Just to set the parameters. For YOU to experience the best diving possible you're probably better off going to some location by yourself. However, since that's not possible we need a destination that will provide you and your spouse both enjoyable days. With that in mind, I would highly recommend Bali, Indonesia. I've been there twice with divers/non-divers and on both counts we all departed "happy". Fuel for thought............

Yes, I can imagine my dive options if I was traveling alone, just for diving... but not the plan here.

I love Bali, and years ago have dove the park in NW side of island and shipwreck on NE (and the Gili's off Lombok which I love). So, while I've thought about Bali, I'd like to go somewhere I haven't yet visited. But you're right, I won't be happy with some average or crowded-tourist diving.

So, while that seems limiting, it is of note that we aren't limited to budget destinations/resorts, and we're willing/planning on air travel... and my wife doesn't need a "big town" or lots of action while I'm out diving - she'll be happy with a beautiful beach, maybe a massage if not crazy expensive, or some work out activity.

I was hoping some of the Thai locations, or along the coast of peninsular-Malaysia (we're also considering Sipadan but the travel requirements seem to much), or some other lesser known location (Philippines, Vietnam?, Indonesia...).

Cathy fly to Cebu in Philippines everyday.
Malapascua would be my suggestion. But please remember that there is nothing to do on this small island except lying on the beach and get roasted. Pampering is out of the question.
But if you only want to be with your loved one after EVERY dive then Puerto Galera is the place. Most of the sites are within 15mins by boat except Verde island which is a MUST incidentally. Depends on the size of the boat going to Verde Island, some dive shops will let non-diver join-in for free or token charges. BTY, there is a small 9 holes course on the hill nearby!!
Malapascua is better than Puerto Galera on diving but you can spend more time with your spouse after diving in PG.

Leo, my first thought when you listed your potential travel periods was Bali, but you've been there...

Still, in the month of September, when the weather here on Phuket is often wet, wet, wet, I tend to send my customers to an island near Bali called Nusa Lembongan. The diving is quite good, you go and come back between each dive, and best of all, it's mola-mola season then. So for September, that would be my suggestion. Easy flight, then a short boat ride between Sanur and N. Lembongan, a whole range of lodging options from the most basic to posh.

For June and July, you could go to Malaysia. Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai is wonderful for divers, but really quite boring for non-divers, though you could combine it with a side-trip to the Orang-utan sanctuary on Borneo. If you do go to the Sipadan area, I'd recommend staying on Mabul since you can get a resort with a pool and massage facilities. If you want only a bit of diving, why not consider my favorite little peninsular Malaysia dive destination, Pulau Tenggol? There are maybe a dozen dive sites, but you go out on a small boat for a couple of morning dives and have the rest of the day to laze around a nice resort on the mainland. Fly from HKG or NRT to KUL and then get the resort to pick you up and drive you to the hotel.

For November, I'd recommend Thailand, which would be just beginning its high season then. You don't have to dive every day, but you could maybe three or four daytrips from Khao Lak out to the Similans and Richelieu on a speedboat and spend the intervening days with your wife. Easy non-stop flights from HKG to Phuket, but from NRT you to transit through BKK and get a shuttle flight down to Phuket (there are tons of these every day).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom