Thailand SEPT-DECEMBER HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

September is some of the best diving of the year in Koh Tao. It is the third busiest month of the year, so training as a professional you have the chance to get experience on a full range of courses. Plus it is one of the best months for seeing whale sharks. I love October best of all because you often get great conditions, whalesharks and less people around. As the above post mentions, last year was dry so we saw good dive conditions and plenty of courses throughout November as well. Normally the rain should come around Nov or early December but the shops are still diving everyday and being an island (not having the long boat trips of many other locations) we can always find sheltered conditions. This is the beautiful thing of Koh Tao, especially training as a dive professional, there is all year round diving and in the successful shops, dive courses starting everyday all year round.
I really think you will get better value on Koh Tao than elsewhere and you will be there at a time to get in loads of great dives and plenty of experience with courses. You would not get this sept to oct on the andaman side.

Having worked on Koh Tao and Koh Lanta, I'd say west is the best...... The diving, in my opinion, is much better and there are good chances of both whale sharks and mantas on the west coast. Lanta's also a very nice, spread out island - if you want quiet, you can find it, if you want to party, you can find it...... There should bbe plenty of opportunity to work with students and fun divers during this period too.

I'd also recommend having a look at Blue Planet, as mentioned earlier.

You also mentioned the Philippines. Have a look at the Thresher Shark Divers website too.....

Actually, I have been looking into Koh Lipe (based on an earlier post you made on a similar thread). However, I haven't found much information on places to stay there...

Has anyone stayed there? PLEASE POST!

Also, does anyone know if there is a steady flow of divers diving there?

Obviously, I am looking for some experience working with FD'rs and OW/AOW students as much as possible. I really dont want to be stuck in an area where I have to wait a week or two for divers to show up!

But Koh Lipe is looking brighter...
Salty, I don't like to post URLs as I do work in the industry here and as an ethical choice try to avoid out and out advertising in the public forum (even in favor of my business partners), but if you would like specific information about a Lipe dive business I work with and trust, please feel free to PM me.

Khao Lak and Koh Lipe are both great choices. .... Khao Lak has some shore diving, but most of the courses and trips are to the Similan Islands. Koh Lipe is much more about close-in dive sites.
I sort of agree with the quoted part of similandiver's post, but because of the closure of the national parks where most Khao Lak diving takes place, there's close to nothing going on in terms of diving from Khao Lak in September and October--that's a full 50% of your time in Thailand, Salty. I might have included Khao Lak in my recommendation myself if you had said November to February, but the fact that the diving takes place far off shore means that diving up there in September and October is limited.

As for Lipe, there is some late-night partying there, but not in the area I like to stay at. The entire island is small enough to walk all over in a couple of hours, so if I want to party, I just walk to that party beach and leave when I've had enough. In terms of getting help for diving accidents, yeah, it can be an issue whether diving at Lipe or in the Simians due to the distances. Phuket has three chambers, and victims from Krabi, Phang Nga and Phuket provices all come to the Phuket medical facilities for treatment of serious incidents. AFAIK, the nearest recompression chamber to Koh Lipe would be in Malaysia at Lumut, and the nearest Thai chamber is in Phuket. The nearest chamber to Khao Lak is also in Phuket, though there is an evacuation service there.

Anyway, drop me a PM if you would like specifics of my own business partners.

I live on Koh Tao and it is one of the cheapest places to take your DM - 30500B including materials. Accomm from 5000B per month.

We didnt get monsoon last year and the conditions were fabulous - however this is not the norm.

Throughout Sept and October we usually see whalesharks around Koh Tao and the conditions are usually and generally good.

Dive boats and dive centres still operate daily through monsoon (Nov) unless the conditions are unsafe for the boat and divers. A handful of dive centres close and fully service and maintain their equipment and facilities. If / when monsoon hits then the seas are choppy, it rains and rains and the viz isnt great. No one knows how long it lasts...

The island still sees a steady but small stream of visitors and there are divers around too during this time.

Given that you want the cheapest course you could take the chance or see what the conditions are like when you arrive...you are doing some research now so you will have options.....

If you are doing more than our DM ( courses before hand) you could always split your training and that way get to see different places and have more experience too while taking advantage of the best conditions and the cheapest fees.......

As it seems we're paying a heavy price for last years non existing monsoon season with all the coral bleaching going on right now due to elevated water temperatures.
Unfortunately the whole SEA region is suffering and not just Thailand.

No monsoon is definitely not the norm in the Samui archipelago's monsoon pattern and only happens every 5 or such years.

Limbo - thankfully we are seeing some recovery in the coral already......we had rain and storms just in time to lower the temperature and ensure fresh water for the island. We are waiting now just to see what happens....

For us who live here and for the environment, a prolonged 'cold' spell and lots of rain would be a blessing, for the average tourist, well, I think he will have something else in mind :D.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. I've decided to book my flight to Thailand...and I am going to wing it.

Most likely headed to Koh Tao first...if it gets nasty, I'll move over to the westside (Koh Lipe sounds nice).

DC's feel free to PM me for marketing ploys and/or legitimate information regarding DM courses...at this point, I'm all ears.:popcorn:

funrecdivers post makes some sense however diving in murky water when your in the tropics does not sound to me personally like a fun day out when you can be diving in 25m Viz with stunning colors which is why most people come to Thailand, if you want to dive in murky water better stay home and dive there.

Sorry, but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding this 'viz thing' and how it becomes directly related to "fun diving".

When I was a beginning diver nearly 30 years ago in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea, I spent time in ocean water that was high visibility with colors very bright. However, I don't think that this defines diving or "fun diving" for many of us today (after some experience), including yours truly funrecdiver.

For example, beginners enjoy flat, calm water when they are learning white water rafting or canoeing; but after a while, they are bored with calm water and prefer the challenge of the sport and increasing levels of difficulty. Pretty soon they are bored with only calm water and prefer raging river currents and passages. The same is true for just about all other sports and we could create an endless list where beginners prefer (and should train in) unchallenged conditions, but they gradually prefer a much greater mind and body challenge.

Yes, for novice divers and tourists who rarely dive, perhaps "clear waters and high visibility" defines a "fun dive", but I can assure you, it can absolutely be more fun to go down a murky decent line in 3 to 5 meters visibility with a bunch of divers to a shipwreck and explore it with flashlights than to see the wreck at the surface and without any visibility challenges! Fun!

The same is true for diving in ripping current and other low visibility conditions. It is thrilling to dive in conditions where you are literally flying underwater and you must work as a team to keep your buddies in sight because if you get more than a 3 to 5 meters apart, you can't see them.

These types of fun dives improve skills and creates a great sense of team spirit unparalleled by simply "walking in the park". So, I am a bit confused by all the dive center operators who seem to want to tell us that the only good diving (or "fun diving") is "walk in the park" diving.

In other words, just my fun diver opinion, if a diver believes that the only "fun diving" is crystal clear water and no current, then that is OK (for them of course); but like most other sports, many experienced practitioners tend to opt for more challenging conditions. I don't think that diving is an exception (at least it is not for me and most people I know who are divers in Pattaya). There is a lot more to diving than simply "sightseeing", at least for many divers (who dive regularly and enjoy improving diving skills and team building.)

In closing on this reminder in a (hopeful) harmonic reply to KohLantaDiving (and others who tend to berate diving in challenging ocean conditions) is that diving in challenging conditions can be much more fun that "a walk in the park" sightseeing in crystal clear waters (for many of us, not all of course).

And to my original point on DMT, there is more than one path to DMT. One path seems to be one where the DMT simply "logs fun dives" and another path is "improving skills in varied, challenging conditions". Personally, as a customer-diver, I prefer to dive with dive leaders who, at least, are comfortable diving in very challenging conditions and can organize an exciting drift dive in low viz or create a sense of adventure on a mysterious, murky wreck dive.

So, I am not sure how "fun diving" is somehow directly equated to "clear and easy diving".... it seems that this should be called "sightseeing diving" or "walk-in-the-park diving" or something a bit more descriptive of the activity than to discount all the great diving outside of "walk-in-the-park-clear-and-calm diving" as "not fun". Great viz is nice, but it certainly does not define the entire realm of "fun diving", for most people I know and dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom