Thailand March 20-26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tafkasnyc

Registered
Reaction score
I might have the chance to head to Thailand arriving in BKK on the 20th and leaving on the 26th or so.
Anyone had any good experience with reasonable but competent boats heading up the Similans or Mergui? Do I need to do a live aboard to comfortably dive this area? Any feedback on tsunami effects in this region?
Any great websites of places / operators that any of you have used recently?
Wondering if I should try day trips out of Phuket or if there is any way of avoiding tourist buildup and finding a cheap funky cool beach with a decent dive operator in that area.
Thanks for any and all suggestions, greatly appreciate it!

R

Try Diego at Dive the World in Patong. They were great and can book you on different trips depending on the days you'll be there and where you want to go. People have said that the coral is OK after the tsunami.

Last April, based in Patong, we arranged 3 full days of diving through DTW. On the first day we went to to Koh Doc Mai, Shark Point, and the Deep Cruiser wreck (with Calypso divers). The second day we went to the Similans on a catamaran and dove in Similan 6, 7 and Koh Bon (with Marina divers). The third day, we went to Richelieu Rock to look for whalesharks, and Koh Tachai to look for mantas with IQ divers (German-run operation). Unfortunately, we saw neither whalesharks nor mantas....

Diego at DTW arranged all of this for us, and we got a nice sample of the different dive sites around Phuket in 3 days. You may also want to look south to Hing Daeng and Koh Phi Phi. They can also arrange liveaboards into Burma and the Similans.

www.dive-the-world.com

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went!

J.

PS: There's more info on Phuket diving on a recent thread, it's titled "Thailand Diving?"

Jedah is right about the other thread, check http://www.scubaboard.com/t88513-.html.

Since your time is limited, I would not go to Mergui, but the Similans, Bon, Tachai and Richelieu will be possible. The diving is excellent there at the moment, unfortunately for us, fortunately for the divers not *** busy as normal.
A liveaboard definately is the best option for diving, and also the most relaxing way to see the Similans.

Also the daytrips in the area are worthwhile.

With limited time, the main problem will be to find a liveaboard to fit your dates. I've done a quick search and can find only the Mermaid II, from 21 - 25 March. Certainly a nice boat. Been running for a few years now.

To dive the Similan/Richelieu Rock area a liveaboard is certainly best.

The tsunami effect on the dive sites was mixed. A couple were badly hit, but mostly absolutely fine. The diving in the last 2 months has been very good.

Day trips to places like Shark Point, Racha Yai and Phi Phi are running. There are also some day trips to Hin Daeng and Similan Islands.

Wishing you happy diving

Also in the timeframe you mentioned there are options. A 5 to 6 day trip though would be excellent, it gives you just a little bit more time to pick the spots when there are less people, and make the planning a bit more flexible.

tafkasnyc:
I could go a few days before or later if there is the chance to do a 5 or 6 day trip.
Thanks for the help -

R
I did a dive report on another thread called February diving in the Similans. If you go to the next page of "Phuket" threads you will see it. (I would reference the actual thread, but I'm not sure how to do that!) We went through Sea Bees in Kata (stevenl) on the Genesis. We did a thre night/11 dive trip and the diving was sooo great. The boat crew and divemasters were all great and I would recommend it if any of your dates fit.

tafkasnyc:
I could go a few days before or later if there is the chance to do a 5 or 6 day trip.
Thanks for the help -

R

Don't worry too much about the details, there are enough boats in Phuket to meet your needs for the timeframe. There are 3 days 3 nights trip also to the Similans, and 4 days 4 nights or more also are available. Between the 20th - 26th, there are quite a few boats you can choose from. One of my favorite with one of the best dive guide and boat leaders in Asia, Marc Allen & MV Colona VI, departs on the 20th... anyhoot, just get to the island and check up on all of the choices.

btw, whale sharks are sighted in the last few days in PP area. I saw one in Racha Noi 2 weeks ago. So, daytrip diving isn't bad either. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom