Thailand March 20-26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tafkasnyc:
...Anyone had any good experience with reasonable but competent boats heading up the Similans or Mergui? Do I need to do a live aboard to comfortably dive this area?

R

I just got back this week from a 5-day trip on the Mermaid I to Mergui and Burma Banks (my first time up that way). Swam with mantas! To go up there you definitely need a liveaboard. Only about six boats go to Myanmar, and they all operate out of Thailand, so if that's what you want, you need to check the dates and go on the boat that fits your availabilty best. One great thing about Myanmar is that you won't see other divers at all.

If you want the Similans, it's possible to do day trips with a couple of operators (South Siam used to do it, but I've heard they don't anymore), however, it's a long boat ride out, and I prefer a liveaboard for the Similans. The Similans are generally swarming with divers, but not this season since the tsunami scared the tourists away, so it's a good time to visit.

Another option for a short liveaboard from Phuket is the southern islands, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang and Koh Ha--which I did on the Mermaid II as a two-day trip (8 dives)--you can do these as day trips from Krabi, too, and whale sharks have just been seen in the area!

Day trips from Phuket also work. I liked Sea Bee's boat Excalibur since it's fast and you get three dives on a day trip instead of the usual two on most other boats.

Back
Top Bottom