Thailand dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
we are looking at putting a trip together to thailand for next March. was looking at Phi Phi island, but have heard i should go further south. help me out everyone, wheres a good place to go with decent resorts?

Hiya Scuba Guy,

The Andaman coast is quite seasonal and March is pretty much the end of the season, but can still be good.

If you start in Phuket, you can the sites there, plus Phi Phi plus get a liveaboard out to the Similans (or ride up to Khao Lak and do Similans day trips).

Later, you can take a jaunt further south to Krabi and Koh Lanta.

However, you really ought to consider starting your trip in Pattaya. You can come here straight from the airport (90 mins) and spend a couple days diving our approximately 20 sites here. Pattaya is Thailand's wreck diving captial with three wrecks dating from WWII at 27-32 meters.

After that, you can actually fly straight from Pattaya to Phuket or, alternatively, try out other Gulf of Thailand sites in Samui and Koh Tao.

For details on diving in Pattaya and our sites here, see our website at www.aquanautsdive.com

March is pretty much the end of the season, but can still be good.
April is the end of the season, and stil good, so March can not be good but will be good.

Further South from Phi Phi: Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, but the reefs there have recently been damaged badly, so at the moment I would be very hesitant to go there.

Similans is of course always a good advice.

Aquanauts Pattaya:
Hiya Scuba Guy,

The Andaman coast is quite seasonal and March is pretty much the end of the season
Nonsense.

It's already April and the diving around Phuket is just fine. In fact I've seen some of the calmest seas recently here, more so than the peak months of December-February.

theres going to be a group of us going, maybe 14 or 16 of us. would like to find some place with good accom. and access to some good dive sites, the odd whale shark would be nice to

You definitely want to be on the Andaman side. March is still great for trips up to the Similans and Richelieu Rock (where we've consistently seen whale sharks this spring). Lots of good places to stay, but mostly it depends on what sort of atmosphere you're looking for. Phuket has just about everything from in-your-face nightlife to thatched huts by a secluded beach. Phi Phi has no vehicle traffic, so is laid back, but it's also very much focused only on tourism, so you don't "see Thailand" too much there--mainly restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, dive shops. Great beaches, though! Koh Lanta, a bit further south, has good diving and is more like what Phi Phi used to be before it got famous.

The Andaman coast is quite seasonal and March is pretty much the end of the season
Can I be more direct than Moonwrasse...that information is a load of rubbish. April is maybe the best month for diving on the Andaman coast.

With a large group, I'd consider chartering a liveaboard for at least 6 days. A charter will get you to the best sites, basically wherever you want to dive (within reason), and you have a boat just for your group. You are welcome to PM me for more information.

Jamie
Phuket

hi scuba guy ,
march is a very good time to come to the phi phi area and also for the similans if you have a group of 14 people charter a boat then you can plan your private trip .
phi phi is more tourist than lanta but the diving is better at phi phi then at lanta mainly because the fameus hin muang and hin daeng are not good anymore .
how much do you want to pay for a resort ?
on phi phi you can find cheap till 5 stars .
pm me if you want more info about chartering a very nice boat in phi phi and for the similans .
greetings walter from a sunny and hot phi phi

scuba_guy:
we are looking at putting a trip together to thailand for next March. was looking at Phi Phi island, but have heard i should go further south. help me out everyone, wheres a good place to go with decent resorts?

MoonWrasse:
Nonsense.

It's already April and the diving around Phuket is just fine. In fact I've seen some of the calmest seas recently here, more so than the peak months of December-February.

Seconded! March/April are probablythe best months to dive around here. Furthermore I would do more research about some of the advice or blatant advertising done on this thread.

Scuba Guy,
I just posted a trip report here from Phi Phi last week or so. Please feel free to take, or leave, any or all from that report.
Keep asking the questions...you will get many answers here on SB!
Happy Diving,
Susie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom