Thai Air Baggage Allowance + Eight hour stop over in Bangkok airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just FYI. If you fly with Bangkok Airways and sign up to their frequent flyer program (which is free of charge), they automatically give you an extra 10kg baggage allowance. This then brings you up to 30kg automatically, before you even have to try for extra at no charge.

OK - so they don't fly everywhere, but are a good local option around SE Asia.

If you haven't left already you should definitely get out of the airport and travel into bangkok. Load up on great thai food coz the food in the philippines is not very good, too bland for my taste. Plenty of things to check out, taxi are cheap and if arriving late at night it should be no more than 30-45 mins into bangkok.

I fly Thai airways every month. They will weigh your checked bag, 22.5Kg seems to slide by every time, more than that depends on the mood of the check in counter person. They have never weighed my carry on bags. I always take a backpack (soft) that vaguely fits their carry on requirements and a laptop roll around bag. Note about batteries, they are getting stricter about bringing batteries in your carry on. I put all my rechargables in my checked bag, standard size cells I buy at the destination.
If you are fling in transit through Bangkok and you want to leave the airport you will have to go through immigration, and you will be subject to paying an additional airport tax fee. (~$20). Plan on 1 hour each way to and from BKK by taxi, figure $10 each way for fare. Recommend a traditional Thai massage, the school at Wat Pho is very good but pricey. PM me for more ideas.

I fly through BKK airport at least once a month. I'm a photographer and whilst my check in bag is always under 20kg, my carry or is probably close to 15kg and has yet to be weighed by Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways, China Eastern or Air Asia. The backup plan for when this inevitably does happen is to take all the heavy items out and store them on my person - camera and biggest lens around my neck, other large lenses in the cargo pockets of my trousers, and other bits and pieces in my jacket pockets. It may sound ridiculous, but that idea early of a photographer's vest is a really good one. Make sure you have a jacket with large pockets and you can get a lots of heavier items such as regs through. Technically, you can also wear your BCD onto the plane. Just tell them you're nervous about crashing in the ocean and want to be prepared.

Public taxis leave from just outside the airport, are reliable and run on the standard meter (max. 400 baht into town). Early in the morning it's about 1 hour to the grand palace/wat po which are well worth a few hours. Great street food nearby at the ferry pier. Getting back out takes a bit longer as the traffic will be heavier by that time. BKK airport is ok, but 8 hours is a stretch. You can get a Thai massage there and it could be worth paying the fee to use the 1st class lounge. Actually, with 8 hours you could taxi down to Pattaya and dive (if you didn't have to fly again)!

On my trip to Thailand in March (and actually all my trips) I carry my UW DSLR in a soft sided cooler all assembled. I had no prob, that sucker weighs 25lbs. I was a bit scared that they made me put it on the scale at the ticket counter...but then didnt say a word:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom