tg6 housing - lens not replaceable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
PSA:
Have just been informed by Backscatter that the Olympus tg6 underwater housing lens is not replaceable. Although it appears very replaceable from the four screws on the inside of the housing.
Olympus informed backscatter that a customer can only buy a new housing because the housing lens cannot be replaced.
This is very unfortunate because other than a marred lens, the housing is completely fine.
The marring aren't scratches. I haven't scratched the lens.
It looks like the chemical coating has begun to wear away - leaving a blurry/cloudy effect.

Imagine having to pay another $300 for a new housing because olympus somehow decided not to provide spare parts.

20220712_091127-01.jpeg

20220712_091154-01.jpeg

@hedonist222

Very unfortunate, but not surprising!

As you've seen I use a Nauticam 100m housing, which I mainly bought for tech diving as I wanted a housing to withstand more pressure.

I think your only option would be:
1. Pick up a second hand Olympus housing
2. Pay $300 for a new one, or
3. Buy a the Nauticam housing.

@hedonist222

Very unfortunate, but not surprising!

As you've seen I use a Nauticam 100m housing, which I mainly bought for tech diving as I wanted a housing to withstand more pressure.

I think your only option would be:
1. Pick up a second hand Olympus housing
2. Pay $300 for a new one, or
3. Buy a the Nauticam housing.

Yes. Looking at option 1 or 3 at this point.

PSA:
Have just been informed by Backscatter that the Olympus tg6 underwater housing lens is not replaceable. Although it appears very replaceable from the four screws on the inside of the housing.
Olympus informed backscatter that a customer can only buy a new housing because the housing lens cannot be replaced.
This is very unfortunate because other than a marred lens, the housing is completely fine.
The marring aren't scratches. I haven't scratched the lens.
It looks like the chemical coating has begun to wear away - leaving a blurry/cloudy effect.

Imagine having to pay another $300 for a new housing because olympus somehow decided not to provide spare parts.

View attachment 734754

View attachment 734755

The lens coating is for reducing glare. Compare some of your old photos with more recent. See any difference? If not, save your money.

The lens coating is for reducing glare. Compare some of your old photos with more recent. See any difference? If not, save your money.
I recall seeing a halo. But that was from a cursory glance.
I'm out of town at the moment. But I'll take photographs with and without the housing.
I inquired about for a spare lens a few days ago, just in case the cloudy effect is obvious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom