TG photos, Show us what you shot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I'll assume swapping from macro to wide angle video, and to photo is pretty trivial.
  2. How well does the TG video stabilization work?
  3. Will video record in 4K 60fps?
  4. Is the battery life kinda crappy when shooting video?
Those are pretty good looking macro videos, BTW.

1. I'll assume swapping from macro to wide angle video, and to photo is pretty trivial.
Back and forth and in between, no problem, if you want to shoot wide there are wet lenses you can put on and take off under water, I would suggest some practice on land first, and never over the abyss. I don't know about the 6 and 7 but I'm pretty sure my 5 is 1080 30fps max. Stabilization is ok I don't shoot alot of video because I don't enjoy editing. When I do video it's short clips so I don't know how much harder it is on the battery.

Back and forth and in between, no problem, if you want to shoot wide there are wet lenses you can put on and take off under water,

TG6 can already shoot in wide, or use landscape mode.

Battery for video. If doing 3 dives a day I will bring an extra battery. Some will change a battery after every dive.
I'm not doing more than 15 mins video per dive anyway. I take video when I see something interesting for me
But macro photos video is what I bought the TG6 for.

4K30p video recording, and high-speed Full HD 1080p shooting at 120 fps.

TG6 can already shoot in wide, or use landscape mode.
Yes but, it's not truly wide angle, not sure what the angle on the "bare" lens is, but I would guess it's in the 60 degree range, the M52 takes it to 120 degrees. I'm pretty sure the aspect ratio is just a cropping function, it does not widen the acquisition.

4K30p video recording, and high-speed Full HD 1080p shooting at 120 fps.
I looked at the specs for the TG-7 and they're the same.

Unfortunately, 4K30P is a deal breaker for me. I record at 4K, 60 frames per second, process at halfspeed, or 30 FPS, and output at 4K60 in DaVinci. The resulting video is much smoother, less jumpy, and more pleasant to watch. Trading the TG-7 macro capability, for 4K60 is very difficult, but if Olympus updates a TG-8 to include 4K60, I'm ready to jump ship.

Unfortunately, 4K30P is a deal breaker for me. I record at 4K, 60 frames per second, process at halfspeed, or 30 FPS, and output at 4K60 in DaVinci. The resulting video is much smoother, less jumpy, and more pleasant to watch. Trading the TG-7 macro capability, for 4K60 is very difficult, but if Olympus updates a TG-8 to include 4K60, I'm ready to jump ship.

I just take video for my vacation memories really. I do make a yearly Calendar with my best photos to send to family and friends.

The TG series value proposition is that it is, water proof, rugged, compact, and has incredible macro capabilities. In the hands of a novice, it takes good photos and videos, and if it's strengths are leveraged properly it can get fantastic results for stills and videos. At the end of the day they are primarily designed for photography, where as the Go Pros are primarily designed for video.

Back
Top Bottom