TG photos, Show us what you shot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@hazmat , great photos! So many different nudies. Which island did you enjoy diving the most?

By the way, the Flicker embedding worked, but maybe too well. Cute cat!

Erik

@hazmat , great photos! So many different nudies. Which island did you enjoy diving the most?

Erik
Haha, thanks! Well I stayed on Saipan the whole time, as well as in Jan. I was there for work, but of course had to get in as much diving as possible. I did visit Tinian once in Jan., but the diving was off a boat from Saipan. The islands are very close. This was my first time with the TG-6. I started out with a ring light, thinking it was necessary, but whatever I tried, most photos were either too dark or too washed out. So after a couple of day I decided to take off the ring light and see what would happen with the built-in flash. Way more consistent, and every photo was at least good enough. The first pic with the nudi almost full frame I did with the flash intensity increased a little; even better. I'm not going for National Geographic here, so I'm really happy now without the ring light. I did one night dive, but didn't use the camera. Maybe the ring light will be helpful on a night dive. And the last of the pics in my first post, the slug with the green dots, it was less than an inch long. I wasn't even initially sure it was an animal, so I took some pics and hoped for the best. Pleasantly surprised!

Erik
One of the cooler dives off Tinian is Dump Cove, or Dump Coke. It's known for all the dumped vehicle parts from the war, but also happened to be great for macro. I found an octopus, peacock mantis shrimp, nudis, and the black slug you see above that looks like it's wearing a white-dotted jacket. My friend pointed out a nudi, and was confused when I wasn't concentrating on it. Right by it was this much smaller one, which he didn't see. I can post the photo of that nudi here, but that was with the ring light and I had to do so much color correction that it looks like its white dots are lit up.

11d4cb12-6836-45f6-8863-8e85dff769b9.jpg

Helpful information. My wife has a TG-6 that she has only used for snorkeling, but is thinking of taking dive classes. One of the many questions she has is about lighting, so really good to know about the lite ring. I would agree that these photos are a good consistency, and very clear. Thanks for sharing them.

Erik

Helpful information. My wife has a TG-6 that she has only used for snorkeling, but is thinking of taking dive classes. One of the many questions she has is about lighting, so really good to know about the lite ring. I would agree that these photos are a good consistency, and very clear. Thanks for sharing them.

Erik
Great. Of course these things are a YMMV situation, but this was my experience. I did have even better results after looking at the manual and seeing you could increase the intensity of the built-in flash. Of course this was all with the underwater housing. Took some getting used to with the real vague-feeling shutter button for the half-press focusing. I really wish it had better tactile feedback for that.

It was kind of a relief that I could get better results without the ring light since it was one less thing I had to deal with. I really wanted a more set-it-and-forget it thing since photography isn't my main "focus" for diving, but I do get a lot of joy looking at pics after the fact of things I find, like nudis.

Quick question.....I see several using the M52 wet lens.

How do you "burp" it without feeling like you are going to drop the lens? It comes with a lanyard but it can't spin on with it in place so kinda pointless to me. Just makes me nervous about dropping and just curious how others approach it.

I had looked for a quick release (bayonet) and so far have come up with nothing.

Quick question.....I see several using the M52 wet lens.

How do you "burp" it without feeling like you are going to drop the lens? It comes with a lanyard but it can't spin on with it in place so kinda pointless to me. Just makes me nervous about dropping and just curious how others approach it.

I had looked for a quick release (bayonet) and so far have come up with nothing.

If you attach the lanyard - it won't fall into the abyss. Admittedly cumbersome but will not be lost.
My one can spin in place - because the lanyard is attached to a sleeve around the lens barrel - this sleeve can rotate around the barrel.

I recall reading or watching (on backscatter) that you can expel air by replicating that process on the surface - in a bucket on the boat for example.

If you attach the lanyard - it won't fall into the abyss. Admittedly cumbersome but will not be lost.
My one can spin in place - because the lanyard is attached to a sleeve around the lens barrel - this sleeve can rotate around the barrel.

I recall reading or watching (on backscatter) that you can expel air by replicating that process on the surface - in a bucket on the boat for example.
I get falling into the abyss which is why I want to use it :)

Makes sense on the barrel. I'm going to see where I can install it so that I can spin it while secured. Good idea!

Watching the video on backscatter they show attaching it to the lens, then the side of the camera and then attaching with the quick release on the lanyard once you get in screwed in place. I'm not too worried about it becoming unscrewed and needing the lanyard at that point :) If I'm going to lose it, it will be when trying to put it back on the housing.

I think the bucket on the boat "burp" is with the M52 120 wide angle, but only if you install the o-ring you buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom