Texas Parks & Wildlife Public Reefing meeting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey People, A whole day and no input on this subject? If you want to comment here I'll make sure your comments are given to TPWD.

Give 'em Hell for turning down a revenue source from the plates.

chairmanTARAC:
The Artificial Reef Advisory Committee has had no input into this proposal. As chairman and Diving Industry Representative, I await your input

I've found that when a govt. agency wants to screw you, they usually do it with a proposal that sounds like it is for your benefit. As such, I'm always a skeptic.

While this idea sounds good on the surface - who could be against 160 acres of artificial reefs? - it really looks like a way for TPWD to wash their hands of the whole thing and abandon pursuit of *premier* artificial reefs like major ships.

A free-for-all Joe Public approach will end up with lots of concrete rubble being dumped but who wants to spend $200 and a 20 mile boat ride to dive on rubble? I like what Florida has done along their southwestern coast where the water is shallow like our area, and that is a program with the Army to drop obsolete tanks, up to a dozen per site.

Give that rubble ten years and you would never know it was a rubble reef. I would love to see some thing like the Big O here in Texas. Who knows, maybe in the future

Lukiedukie:
Give that rubble ten years and you would never know it was a rubble reef.

In that case you should be delighted with the rubble that's been out there for 10 years.

The committee wanted to obtain army tanks however TPWD's artificial reef coordinator at that time was unable to get any. It always seemed strange that alabama, Florida got all they wanted but Tpwd never was able too.

Back
Top Bottom