Texas Gulf Coast News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Rebuild in 4 Years - Not 30"? among other things, this smells fishy. Its nothing more than an absract idea and a hope. Nowhere do I see anything that gives this any believability. I know in the state of Washington, artificial reefs are not in style because they don't create new usable habitat, they only move fish from one area to another. Saying that they can recover an abused reasource in 4 years is incredibly unrealistic. This website screams "complaining fishermen."

TFM,
you might not be a believe but I for one stand behind this project 100%. Right now we are diving the oil rigs which are great artificatul reefs. But more and more are being removed every year. So this is a project that will hopefully that the place of some of these rigs. Our limit of Red Snapper was lower from 4 to 2 fish for next year so this is a plan that will increase the stock of fish.

And I am sure it will be happening. There are alot of people behind this project. Alabama has already had great success with a simular project.

The reef only 8 miles offshore might not be the best for diving because of the visuabity. But this is a start and once this shows to be successful hopefully we will be able to add more reefs to deeper water including ships.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

Thanks for your support Michael, we all need to have faith and anything they may do would be more than is happening now. Sweeny? My home is Alvin--what a small world we live in.

TheFoggyMask:
I know in the state of Washington, artificial reefs are not in style because they don't create new usable habitat
Washington ain't Texas. Anything that gives some vertical relief to the otherwise flat sand bottom off the Texas coast creates new habitat for planktonic critters to settle out on and grow up - critters that would otherwise just perish for lack of a home. Artificail reefs in the Gulf are wonderful and should be pursued full force.
Rick

And hey, there's always people like me that dive in Travis, that would LOVE to hit up some salt water with visibility at or above 20 feet, especially if its a decent wreck out there.

PvilleStang:
And hey, there's always people like me that dive in Travis, that would LOVE to hit up some salt water with visibility at or above 20 feet, especially if its a decent wreck out there.
Can you spell F L O W E R G A R D E N S ??? :D
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom