Texas getting serious about artificial reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bump any more info here?

I've been in corpus about a year and would love to dive the area but for the cost of a 2 to 3 tank trip a full week trip to coz keeps calling.

They're working on reefing a boat named the Kraken, a 370-foot cargo vessel formerly known as the SCM Fedra.

The latest from the TPW Artificial Reef Program FB page says:
"The Artificial Reef Team has received final approval from the EPA after a long remediation period. Remediation included the removal of all chemicals, hydrocarbons and any potential floating debris to ensure a clean ship for reefing. Yesterday, the team did a final walk through to mount cameras in hopes of getting a ship's-eye-view of the reefing. The Kraken is now entering the final phases before being reefed. The reef site is located approximately 70 miles of the coast of Galveston, in 140 feet. Reefing date is still to be determined."

There's also some information and an interview with Dale Shively at this Texas Standard article: Texas Parks & Wildlife are Making an Artificial Reef Habitat.

We are waiting for a weather window for the 3-day tow from Brownsville to the reef site at this point. Hopefully the week after Christmas, but it's weather so who knows...

-Chris

I grew up diving in Texas and on occasion we'd dive the George Vancouver located just six miles off the beach. Conditions had to be just right but there were times when the seas flattened and the green water would come closer to shore such that visibility could get up to twenty feet. It was only around 50-60 feet deep but when we didn't have fuel or time to do the big offshore trip, it was an option.
This can be a rugged dive. Vis can disappear instantly with shifting currents and there are a lot of penetration opportunities.

I had the biggest tarpon I'd ever seen in my life swim right up to me (made very close eye contact) on the Vancouver.

How much will a charter cost to get out here? I assume this will cost quite a bit, and potentially not even be anything other then a stop on the way to the Flower Gardens?

A one day trip will probably be $250.00 for 3 dives

Chris,

Any updates?

Still waiting on weather. 6-8's all week. I expect the contractor will change his tune about moving the ship closer (ie anywhere but Brownsville) by the end of the month. Feb usually has worse weather than Jan.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom