Texas diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi, my name is doug live in south texas and was wondering if anybody has ever heard or dove, 288 lake formerly tiki lake, twin lakes, still house hollow reseviour, and inks lake, been diving along time, and now bored of diving the same lakes, but am not sure if these are real dive sites in texas...if you have dove these or know of these please let me know how it went..

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Texas Swamp Divers forum.

Welcome to SB Doug!
Most of those places get dove fairly regularly by someone, although I think there may be issues with 288 currently. Check out the sticky at top of this forum, dive conditions report for some recent dive reports or use the search feature within the TSD forum and search for posts on various sites.

The issues are with Twin Lakes. 288 Lake is a decent local spot but no compressor onsite is the biggest drawback. Blue Lagoon is another decent local spot. But none of them would be worth a 6 or 7 hour drive, in my opinion. Especially when you have good offshore sites in south Texas.

Stillhouse is OK if you live 10 miles from it. On occasions, it gets fairly clear (20+ ft vis) and might even be rated good. It does have a few attractions that will take a W/E of diving to start to get boring. But it would be a rare occurrence that it would be worth a 600 mile round trip.

If you do an advanced search on the keyword "stillhouse", you will find quite a few threads that address it. If you do decide that you just have to have some of that, let me know.

Stillhouse is good if you live within 2 hours or so. Maybe just 90 minutes. I wouldn't drive any farther than that.

Some friends of mine tried to dive Inks lake last summer. Surprisingly, I have not heard any reports that are promising out of Inks lake. Someone told me that TPWD drains Inks Lake once every 10 years for 'maintenance', whatever that means.

I agree with AWAP and RICHERSO. I live about 20 minutes from Stillhouse. It's an ok dive but certainly nothing to drive any great distance for. However, if you're in the area and want to check it out, give me a hollar and I'd be glad to go along with you. Have you dived Travis?

hi, my name is doug live in south texas and was wondering if anybody has ever heard or dove, 288 lake formerly tiki lake, twin lakes, still house hollow reseviour, and inks lake, been diving along time, and now bored of diving the same lakes, but am not sure if these are real dive sites in texas...if you have dove these or know of these please let me know how it went..

Lake Georgetown is another dive spot not frequently dove by Texas Divers. Viz is usually low, but it has a canal boat ramp and dam, plenty of rocks to explore also.

Shawn O'Shea

there is also medina and canyon on the way up to travis which would make for a couple decent dives. Vis is gonna be at least 3" maybe even 20'. But if I were in corpus, I'd be hitting the rigs before I spent the same amount of money on a trip to a lake in central Texas.

Check out the link in my sig line, click on the word Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom