Texas Dive Show Jan 24-25 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few tips

1. As for the coupons:

Look at the list of exhibitors. Find a local dive shop. Go to the store of that dive shop. They have the coupons. For example, SeaSports scuba (for example) did not exhibit, thus they were not giving out coupons, and they were not able to advise who might have coupons.

Gigglin Marlin (for example) was a great exhibitor, and they were more than helpful and fantastic in providing a coupon when asked for one at their store before the show.

2. YEs this show is not as big or grand as the one in Chicago (Our World Underwater). But, for the support that the Houston show gets with turnout, you have to give props out to HUC and the other people helping to organize it for pulling it off and making the effort.

3. Bit annoyed and disappointed that "some" presenters did not hold to their published schedule of "free" seminars.

4. Oh well, it was pretty good for the support it receives. MAybe getting the word out will get a better turnout exponentially for the next few more years that maybe in 5 years time, it may rival "Our World Underwater". Other option is to just plan a trip up to Chicago in February :)

Although HUC was not the organizer(I ought to know as I am the treasurer), it was a good opportunity to set up the virtual dive which we hadnt done in two years. They let us have a booth in exchange for doing this. We had hoped to have more kids go thru it but it worked out okay.

Thanks for giving us credit but our role was limited to the virtual dive. The silent auction was done by Seaspace. The rest of the show was a commercial show.

Last edited:
MAybe getting the word out will get a better turnout exponentially for the next few more years
It is interesting to note, that we offer ALL of these dive shows FREE SPACE on our Events Banner. It's the biggest and most viewed piece of advertisement we have, and you CAN'T BUY IT! It is reserved for events such as this, and all we ask is that they send us a 700X200 banner. We never received one for this show, which is sad.

3. Bit annoyed and disappointed that "some" presenters did not hold to their published schedule of "free" seminars.

Sorry for the confusion, but there was an issue with the scheduling and show staff were supposed to make announcements about the changes. Hopefully future shows will run a bit smoother.
Mike

This year's show was like last year's show:

NOT REALLY A SHOW FOR GEAR & EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURING LINES (like Sea Space use to have.)

There's plenty of room in reliant as well as last year's hotel to have these guy come. You have the building booked ----- go on and fill it up with vendors ---- even if you can get in the regional reps of an equipment line with the latest newest gear, offer them a spot at a discounted rate.

Same thing with all of the certifying agencies, get them ALL in at a discounted rate --- it improves your chances of filling up the place.

Email a simple flyer (pdf file) to all Texas and Louisiana dive shop at Thanksgiving. Just ask them to print out two copies and tape up one near the checkout register and the other one at the door or window display.

Get on Scubaboard and make numerous threads announcing the show --- not just on Swamp Divers.

Ask all of your scuba travel booths to be sure and send out emails to their newletter lists subscribers asking them to please come visit them in Houston.

Get on the ball.

I know a lot of people in Austin who did not find out until Friday the 23rd of january. And these people include instructors and shop owners who attended your event last year and hadn't heard anything ----- they thought the show was defunct like SeaSpace.

I'll agree with Gator, I remember when a good majority of the local dive shops would go as well as a lot of manufacturers. It was cool to go and get to see the manufacturers showcase their new lines as well as get some great deals on some closeout items from shops clearing out old inventory. The travel side of things was nice but I like to get some deals and see the new toys.

Back
Top Bottom