Texas Clipper Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Being distracted with the Oriskany debacle, a rumor has floated around that the Texas Clipper is going to be sunk as a reef off South Padre late this year. She's a pretty big boat, built in the 1930's as a liner, used as a troopship during WWII, and converted as A&M's merchant marine training ship from the late 1960's to mid-'90's. The entire hull was painted maroon, as I recall.

Anyone care to corrobate? I must say, this Paul Hammerschlibt (or however you spell his last name) has invigorated the Texas artificial reefs program to a fever pitch. I wonder if he's from Florida...

Archman,

Everything is right on, except I have not heard anything yet about the possible sinking of the ship. We can use all we can get here in Texas!!

Regards,

The correct spelling of Paul's name is HAMMERSCHMIDT. It is true that the Texas Clipper is scheduled to be reefed mid summer 2005. The project is currently on track for that goal. The proposed site is Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Block PS 1122. The plans are to have the top of the Clipper's wheel house at -50 feet. Total depth of the site is approx 120 feet. If you have questions about the project or it's progress feel free to e-mail Paul at
paul.hammerschmidt@tpwd.state.tx.us
He will respond to your inquiries as his schedule will allow.

yeoldfossil:
The correct spelling of Paul's name is HAMMERSCHMIDT. It is true that the Texas Clipper is scheduled to be reefed mid summer 2005. The project is currently on track for that goal. The proposed site is Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Block PS 1122. The plans are to have the top of the Clipper's wheel house at -50 feet. Total depth of the site is approx 120 feet. If you have questions about the project or it's progress feel free to e-mail Paul at
paul.hammerschmidt@tpwd.state.tx.us
He will respond to your inquiries as his schedule will allow.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the info we will be watching and waiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom