Testing Suunto Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I've just purchased a Suunto transmitter off eBay to use with my D6i. What I didn't realise is that to pair or even turn on the transmitter, I have to connect it to a cylinder under pressure. As I'm a holiday diver I don't have my own cylinder and don't have access to one as my nearest club is about 30 miles away. I'd really like to find out if the transmitter's working OK while I've still got the option of taking up any issues with the seller/eBay, but is there anyway to test it without a pressurised cylinder/1st stage to hook it up to?

Thanks!

You won't be able to test if it reads the pressure, but you should be able to test if it pairs (I think).

Under the settings, get your computer to pair with the transmitter - hold it close to the transmitter and see if it gives you a code (01-99). That part should work (I think). It may then give you a problem as it's not reading any pressure.

Thanks for the reply, however, the D6i instructions seem to suggest that the transmitter won't transmit anything at all (including a code) unless it's subject to at least 15bar (presumably so the battery doesn't run down when it's not in use) - I just need to see if anyone can come up with a clever workaround!

Thanks for the reply, however, the D6i instructions seem to suggest that the transmitter won't transmit anything at all (including a code) unless it's subject to at least 15bar (presumably so the battery doesn't run down when it's not in use) - I just need to see if anyone can come up with a clever workaround!

You are correct, unless the transmitter is pressurized, it will not activate. From a practical perspective, this is about the only way to conserve the transmitter battery. I thought the threshold for activation was about 10 bar, but even that is not easily achieved with a non-scuba compressor. You're going to have to find someone with a tank (or make the 30 mile drive).

Is there a paintball shop closer? They often use SCUBA cylinders to charge their guns.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom