Test-Dive Report: The Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if this will help but the battery cap does not need to be tightened down to seal. It will seal if only screwed in. Just barely snug it if at all. This may help with the issue of damaging the slot.

Hello Ray again,

Shearwater stated almost exactly what you wrote, here it is:

"Accepted battery types The Shearwater Perdix can accept a wide variety of AA sized batteries. The Perdix can accept any AA sized (or 14500 size) battery that outputs a voltage between 0.9V and 4.3V.
Reinstalling the battery cap. It is very important that the battery cap O-rings are clear of dust or debris. Carefully inspect your O-rings for any debris or damage and gently clean. It is recommended that you lubricate your battery cap’s O-ring on a regular basis with an O-ring lubricant compatible with Buna-N (Nitrile) O-rings. Lubricating helps ensure that the O-ring seats properly and does not twist or bunch.
Insert the battery cap into the Perdix and compress the battery contact springs. While the springs are compressed rotate the battery cap clockwise to engage the threads. Be sure not to cross thread the battery cap’s threads. Tighten the battery cap until snug and the Perdix powers on. Do not over tighten the battery cap.
NOTE: Battery cap O-rings are Type 112 Buna-N 70 durometer"

This answers the question about deforming the slot (not directly) and battery types that are compatible with the Perdix.

thanks,
mm

Thankfully my current redundant wrist computer has a cracked outer case and a strap system that is failing.

Well, you don't hear that every day! LOL

Just something to think about before you throw down cash. I also have used a mask with gauge reader lenses for a couple of years. More recently, I have gone to masks with no correction. I have a Perdix AI and a Teric. I find that even though the Teric screen is physically smaller, I can read it just as well. And that is with me using the Teric in the mode for Standard Screen Layout. There is also a Big option for that. Standard has 4 rows of data on the screen. Big has 3.

And I definitely like the compass better on the Teric, plus liking the overall size better.

Related: The Perdix screen is LCD. The Teric is AMOLED. That is one reason why the Teric is more readable. The screen is simply brighter and has better contrast. On really bright days, the Perdix screen can be readable but look a bit washed out nevertheless. On those days, the Teric screen is very easily, visibly better.

The battery port seems like it's going to need to be replaced eventually, as the plastic is a bit soft. I've changed the battery a few times and taken it out for storage and the screw slot is already somewhat beat up. I've used their little blue tool each time.

Like @RayfromTX said. If it gets a mark in it (using their tool), you torqued it too much.

I agree with Stuart that the compass on the Teri is mile better than the Perdix (and the Eon) but you’ll have to remove my SK8 from my cold dead hands before I’d prefer digital to analog.

I have a different experience to Stuart. I require +1.5 for reading, I didn’t find the Teric usable

The Screen on the Perdix is awful in bright sunshine underwater, too much reflection, you need to orientate it just right, my Eon is visible from all angles.

I agree with Stuart that the compass on the Teri is mile better than the Perdix (and the Eon) but you’ll have to remove my SK8 from my cold dead hands before I’d prefer digital to analog.

I have a different experience to Stuart. I require +1.5 for reading, I didn’t find the Teric usable

Interesting. I wear +1.75 for reading....

Back
Top Bottom