Test-Dive Report: The Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago I went through the typical middle-aged problem where either my eyesight deteriorated (or my arms got shorter ) so I went for a Suunto Eon Steel so I could actually see what was on the screen. However as I got more into Tec I realised it was more of a rec computer with some Tec capabilities. No such issues with the Perdix! Also nice to be able to plan a dive on Multi-deco and the Perdix with the same results.

Fair opinion, although I would disagree. I much prefer my Eon over my Perdix, I think think the screen displays, and menu structure is light years ahead of the Perdix.

I have no issues planning Tec on the Suunto nor the Perdix, and Suunto Fused RGBM gives similar real world times to that of the Perdix.

I like the bomb proof construction of the Steel and agree with posters above about the Perdix battery cover - I'd personally prefer a knurled thumb screw made of metal for the battery cover.

The Perdix is nice and light - the Eon is really heavy on the wrist when just wearing just a rash vest

When Suunto release Buhlmann on the Eon steel later this year then my Perdix will be passed on unless I dedicate it to my SM rig as it can display 2 gas pressures at the same time unlike the Eon

I don't like the bluetooth nonsense on the Perdix either - I gave up trying to get it to download to my main PC (yes I can down to the cloud and to the app)

But in the end Perdix is a good computer, just not my preferred choice

Fair opinion, although I would disagree. I much prefer my Eon over my Perdix, I think think the screen displays, and menu structure is light years ahead of the Perdix.

I have no issues planning Tec on the Suunto nor the Perdix, and Suunto Fused RGBM gives similar real world times to that of the Perdix.

I like the bomb proof construction of the Steel and agree with posters above about the Perdix battery cover - I'd personally prefer a knurled thumb screw made of metal for the battery cover.

The Perdix is nice and light - the Eon is really heavy on the wrist when just wearing just a rash vest

When Suunto release Buhlmann on the Eon steel later this year then my Perdix will be passed on unless I dedicate it to my SM rig as it can display 2 gas pressures at the same time unlike the Eon

I don't like the bluetooth nonsense on the Perdix either - I gave up trying to get it to download to my main PC (yes I can down to the cloud and to the app)

But in the end Perdix is a good computer, just not my preferred choice

Yes the Bluetooth isn't great I agree. Been waiting a while for Suunto to release Buhlmann though. I haven't worn both together except with the Eon in gauge so I take what you're saying with closely matched deco profiles. Just like most things, dive kit is a personal choice and our views are largely subjective. Still prefer my Perdix though.

I was on the fence between the Perdix and the Teric, the battery cover issue is one of the main reasons I went with the Teric.

If Suunto had the better support of dual AIs transmitters it would've been higher on my list. But since I intend to go side mount that meant that a Shearwater would be my preferred computer.

Hello @markmud.

Saft LS-14500 batteries are 3.6 volt lithium batteries. They are much more expensive than standard alkaline cells and are not as easily found. They also do not have a very long shelf life. One of the features of the Perdix and Petrel2 in comparison with earlier Shearwater products is that they no longer require Saft batteries and perform perfectly with the more readily available AA cells. If you wish to purchase the Safts, do so from a reputable, high volume dealer. Batteries Plus Bulbs is my local retailer, Dive Gear Express and Add Helium sell them, and some local dive shops that cater to tech divers stock them as well. There are unscrupulous sellers and I received counterfeit Safts on the only occasion that I chose to order some on Amazon.com. They could not power my Shearwater Predator nor my CCR's handset.

Hi OceanEyes,

Are there only two options for batteries for the Perdix? Straight alkaline or Saft LS-14500 only?

Will a widely available lithium battery made by Energizer or Duracell work in the Perdix?

Thanks,

markm

Hi OceanEyes,
Are there only two options for batteries for the Perdix? Straight alkaline or Saft LS-14500 only?
Will a widely available lithium battery made by Energizer or Duracell work in the Perdix?

I use Eneloop (Low-Self-Discharge Rechargeable NiMH) in mine. They don't last as long, but they're cheap, I have a bunch of them, and carrying an extra one or two on a trip is easy.

My understanding is that basically anything that fits in the chamber will power the computer. It *may* not do a good job of giving you a low battery indicator, but they'll work.

That's a problem with the NiMH's as well: the low battery indicator doesn't give you much warning. If you're doing multi-hour dives, NiMH would be a poor choice. Seeing as I've done a 60 minute dive after the warning came on, I'm OK with that level of warning. YMMV.

Edited to add: the low-battery indicator issue with a NiMH is a nature of the NiMH, not the computer. NiMH chemistry stays steadily at its output voltage (1.2V), and then falls rapidly off a cliff very near the end. Alkaline batteries are a nearly completely linear drop off from fresh to dead, which makes low battery indicators a snap.

As far as I am aware, virtually any AA sized battery should be able to power your Perdix; NiMiH, NiCad, lithium and alkaline, including most rechargeable cells.

I made my note above about Saft cells specifically because they were suggested in an earlier post. While I still use the Saft cells or rechargeable lion cells to power my older Shearwater computer and CCR controller, (which will only work with 3.6 volt batteries), I much prefer simple alkaline batteries for my Perdix. I’m partial to the Copper Tops or the ones touted by that infuriating bunny rabbit. I get plenty of life out of each battery, they are low cost, give you plenty of warning before going flat as opposed to the rechargeable batteries as @tmassey noted, I’m judicious about keeping my battery cap in good condition, and can obtain batteries almost anywhere on Earth should I forget to bring a few spares.

An added incentive is that in many places with heavy diver traffic, local operations collect used alkaline batteries for (supposedly) ecologically sound disposal. Changing the battery takes about a minute, including the time it takes to clean the cap & inspect and grease the O-ring. Add another minute or so to recalibrate the compass after each battery change, and you’ll be good to go. If it is a cause for concern, pick up a spare battery cap and keep it in your save a dive bag.

I use Eneloop (Low-Self-Discharge Rechargeable NiMH) in mine. They don't last as long, but they're cheap, I have a bunch of them, and carrying an extra one or two on a trip is easy.

My understanding is that basically anything that fits in the chamber will power the computer. It *may* not do a good job of giving you a low battery indicator, but they'll work.

That's a problem with the NiMH's as well: the low battery indicator doesn't give you much warning. If you're doing multi-hour dives, NiMH would be a poor choice. Seeing as I've done a 60 minute dive after the warning came on, I'm OK with that level of warning. YMMV.

Edited to add: the low-battery indicator issue with a NiMH is a nature of the NiMH, not the computer. NiMH chemistry stays steadily at its output voltage (1.2V), and then falls rapidly off a cliff very near the end. Alkaline batteries are a nearly completely linear drop off from fresh to dead, which makes low battery indicators a snap.

Hi Tmassey,

Thanks for the info.

As of now, I am leaning toward energizing my soon-to-own Perdix with readily available lithium batteries. For me it seems to be the best of all worlds. The lithium batteries I saw today have a shelf life of about 5 years.

I will probably purchase a few extra battery hatches right-off-the-bat. That way, if I deform the slot I can replace it with a new battery hatch and be diving again.

It appears my wife and I may be taking advantage of her grand prize from the SB Surge in Curacao this spring--that is, early spring. I may have to purchase the Perdix sooner than I had planned.

I need a good computer for our dives with Coral Divers of Curacao, and for shore diving the house reef at Oasis Coral Estates, Curacao.

Thanks,
markm

Nice review. I've been diving a Perdix since June and generally love it. I have two super small nitpicks though:
  1. I wish the time of day wasn't like 8 screens in on the right button.
  2. The battery port seems like it's going to need to be replaced eventually, as the plastic is a bit soft. I've changed the battery a few times and taken it out for storage and the screw slot is already somewhat beat up. I've used their little blue tool each time.
I'm not sure if this will help but the battery cap does not need to be tightened down to seal. It will seal if only screwed in. Just barely snug it if at all. This may help with the issue of damaging the slot.

I'm not sure if this will help but the battery cap does not need to be tightened down to seal. It will seal if only screwed in. Just barely snug it if at all. This may help with the issue of damaging the slot.

Hi RayfromTX,

Great point!

A fitting with a captured o-ring does not need much torque, if any, to seal. Over torqueing can create more problems than it will ever fix. This is true with any threaded fitting, bolt, or screw.

cheers,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom