Test-Dive Report: The Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmud

Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives.
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Memories of my Shearwater Computer experiences while Surging in Curacao (part one, Nerd 2 to follow)!

I was fortunate enough to test-dive two dive computers on my Curacao Surge vacation.

The Perdix AI and the Nerd 2.

I was fully aware of the superb quality, capability, and service support for Shearwater dive computers before diving with their computers. Shearwater sets the standard for this industry.

I did not know how well they perform until I checked my computer while u/w. I had to angle the screen as the glair was affecting my ability to see the screen through my mask-mounted magnifying lens. I dropped my computer (secured with a tether--I still have it) and noticed Lynn Partridge diving about 8 feet below me. Her Perdix AI was awesome as I could read her computer from a range of 8 feet without any corrective aides at all. Plain as day. Her numbers were crisp and clear. No glare, and from a range of 8 feet!

I was offered a test-dive with a Perdix AI. I accepted. Here is what I found:
  • I did not need to use my mask-mounted magnifying lens to read the Perdix AI!
  • All the information that I like to review was on a single screen! I did not have to change from the main screen to a secondary screen for vital dive info (vital to me info)!
  • The battery is a diver-friendly switch that does not require a tiny screwdriver and extra spare screws (my present computer uses small screws to secure the hatch that are easy to lose in my workshop and almost impossible to find on a rocking dive boat)!
  • While I did not perform a gas switch u/w, Bruce and Lynn walked me through the process. Unlike my present multiple gas computer, switching gases u/w is a snap as action prompts are displayed next to the button that accomplishes that goal. Wow, a dive computer that is Mark-proof ("a man has got to know his limitations" : Bruce P. and Dirty Harry)
  • Setting and editing your breathing gases: Again, it is a snap. The Chairman taught me in about 3 seconds (literally). Touch the menu button to get to the "Edit Gas" screen and follow the prompts displayed next to the button that accomplishes the desired goal. Done! Unlike my present computer, which is a PITA to edit the breathing gases for the three gas mixes available.
  • The strap system is easy to manipulate and easier to adjust. The fittings have a strap-lock system that locks-in your strap length so it does come lose while diving, but it is easy to adjust at the same time.
  • The case looks and feels bullet-proof while being lightweight and comfortable to wear.
Thankfully my current redundant wrist computer has a cracked outer case and a strap system that is failing. I don't have to rationalize purchasing my Perdix AI because I need a replacement. I will buy a Perdix AI with the tank pressure sending unit accessory. Dolphinscuba.com (my LDS and go-to internet dive equipment establishment) has them and will ship them right away.

I will have a true tech quality computer for my recreational dives that I can see without a corrective lens in my mask.

I will forego my frustration while trying to perform a gas switch u/w or while trying to edit my gas mixture while on deck during the SI.

Thanks Bruce and Lynn,

markm

Nice review. I've been diving a Perdix since June and generally love it. I have two super small nitpicks though:
  1. I wish the time of day wasn't like 8 screens in on the right button.
  2. The battery port seems like it's going to need to be replaced eventually, as the plastic is a bit soft. I've changed the battery a few times and taken it out for storage and the screw slot is already somewhat beat up. I've used their little blue tool each time.

I have 6 dives total on my new Perdix with AI and love it. I do have a marking on the battery cover using the supplied tool as well, but it does not bother me much, especially since I accidentally dropped (almost threw) the Perdix onto a tiled floor when shaking some water off it, but it just shrugged it off, it took a good first hit and slid around for a bit.

Just a word on the straps - I find the surgical tubing infinitely better than the clip straps. Just tie two properly sized individual loops (so one holds should the other fail) and you can just slide it onto your arm without any adjustments or awkward clip issues. You can even tuck the bit that hangs out of the knot into the long slots underneath so there is no way anything could come undone, even using small knots for the tubing. Just replace the tubing every few months or so if in salt water.

The underwater readability, compass navigation and menu structure are fantastic. AI has been perfectly reliable. Take it on a night dive and the screen just looks fantastic.

Nice review. I've been diving a Perdix since June and generally love it. I have two super small nitpicks though:
  2. The battery port seems like it's going to need to be replaced eventually, as the plastic is a bit soft. I've changed the battery a few times and taken it out for storage and the screw slot is already somewhat beat up. I've used their little blue tool each time.

Hi Jake,

I had an Aeris computer that had the same issue. I went to my LDS and they sold me several port caps for a nominal fee. After that I considered them to be a consumable item. Every 10 or 12 battery changes, I would use a new port cap.

I admit that that strategy is an admission that my term "bullet-proof" is to be taken with a grain of salt.

cheers,
markm

If you switch to the Saft LS-14500 batteries you will be doing a lot less opening of the battery cap. I get over 60hrs of diving out of each battery. Which means that when I go on vacation I only take 1 extra battery for each Shearwater that I take along.

Michael

If you switch to the Saft LS-14500 batteries you will be doing a lot less opening of the battery cap. I get over 60hrs of diving out of each battery. Which means that when I go on vacation I only take 1 extra battery for each Shearwater that I take along.

Michael

HI Michael,

Is that a lithium battery that can be bought at Lowe's (Menards, Home Depot)?

cheers,
mm

Hello @markmud.

Saft LS-14500 batteries are 3.6 volt lithium batteries. They are much more expensive than standard alkaline cells and are not as easily found. They also do not have a very long shelf life. One of the features of the Perdix and Petrel2 in comparison with earlier Shearwater products is that they no longer require Saft batteries and perform perfectly with the more readily available AA cells. If you wish to purchase the Safts, do so from a reputable, high volume dealer. Batteries Plus Bulbs is my local retailer, Dive Gear Express and Add Helium sell them, and some local dive shops that cater to tech divers stock them as well. There are unscrupulous sellers and I received counterfeit Safts on the only occasion that I chose to order some on Amazon.com. They could not power my Shearwater Predator nor my CCR's handset.

You can move it. I have it on the home screen, middle row.

Memories of my Shearwater Computer experiences while Surging in Curacao (part one, Nerd 2 to follow)!

I was fortunate enough to test-dive two dive computers on my Curacao Surge vacation.

The Perdix AI and the Nerd 2.

I was fully aware of the superb quality, capability, and service support for Shearwater dive computers before diving with their computers. Shearwater sets the standard for this industry.

I did not know how well they perform until I checked my computer while u/w. I had to angle the screen as the glair was affecting my ability to see the screen through my mask-mounted magnifying lens. I dropped my computer (secured with a tether--I still have it) and noticed Lynn Partridge diving about 8 feet below me. Her Perdix AI was awesome as I could read her computer from a range of 8 feet without any corrective aides at all. Plain as day. Her numbers were crisp and clear. No glare, and from a range of 8 feet!

I was offered a test-dive with a Perdix AI. I accepted. Here is what I found:
  • I did not need to use my mask-mounted magnifying lens to read the Perdix AI!
  • All the information that I like to review was on a single screen! I did not have to change from the main screen to a secondary screen for vital dive info (vital to me info)!
  • The battery is a diver-friendly switch that does not require a tiny screwdriver and extra spare screws (my present computer uses small screws to secure the hatch that are easy to lose in my workshop and almost impossible to find on a rocking dive boat)!
  • While I did not perform a gas switch u/w, Bruce and Lynn walked me through the process. Unlike my present multiple gas computer, switching gases u/w is a snap as action prompts are displayed next to the button that accomplishes that goal. Wow, a dive computer that is Mark-proof ("a man has got to know his limitations" : Bruce P. and Dirty Harry)
  • Setting and editing your breathing gases: Again, it is a snap. The Chairman taught me in about 3 seconds (literally). Touch the menu button to get to the "Edit Gas" screen and follow the prompts displayed next to the button that accomplishes the desired goal. Done! Unlike my present computer, which is a PITA to edit the breathing gases for the three gas mixes available.
  • The strap system is easy to manipulate and easier to adjust. The fittings have a strap-lock system that locks-in your strap length so it does come lose while diving, but it is easy to adjust at the same time.
  • The case looks and feels bullet-proof while being lightweight and comfortable to wear.
Thankfully my current redundant wrist computer has a cracked outer case and a strap system that is failing. I don't have to rationalize purchasing my Perdix AI because I need a replacement. I will buy a Perdix AI with the tank pressure sending unit accessory. Dolphinscuba.com (my LDS and go-to internet dive equipment establishment) has them and will ship them right away.

I will have a true tech quality computer for my recreational dives that I can see without a corrective lens in my mask.

I will forego my frustration while trying to perform a gas switch u/w or while trying to edit my gas mixture while on deck during the SI.

Thanks Bruce and Lynn,

markm

Nice review and I couldn't agree more. Absolutely fantastic piece of kit and really well thought out, from construction to the intuitive menu selection. A few years ago I went through the typical middle-aged problem where either my eyesight deteriorated (or my arms got shorter ) so I went for a Suunto Eon Steel so I could actually see what was on the screen. However as I got more into Tec I realised it was more of a rec computer with some Tec capabilities. No such issues with the Perdix! Also nice to be able to plan a dive on Multi-deco and the Perdix with the same results. Quite happy with the Buhlmann algorithm though and don't see the point of paying for VPM upgrade. Just wish it was a bit cheaper, but that's probably more to do with the £ plumeting with our bloody Brexit fiasco .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom