Question Teric strap for normal-sized man?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy,

I just got 2 new Terics. My old Terics came with a rubber/silicone strap and an extension.

My new Terics came with a silicone Remora strap, and a shorter silicone Remora strap.

The longer of the straps will not fit around my wrist with a 5mm wetsuit on!

I am 6'1" tall and wear L or XL gloves, depending on the manufacturer. I think, for a man my size, my wrists are actually somewhat on the slender side. Approximately 8" around, bare. My 5mm wetsuit is a Waterproof W7.

I don't even think this longer strap will fit around my wrist in a 3mm wetsuit. If it does, it will be just barely.

Are you going to offer a longer strap that I can use with a 5mm wetsuit?

How about one for when I'm in my drysuit with thick undies?

I see the Remora elastic strap. I have one for each of my Terics. They are long enough, but I do not like to depend on my computer being retained by one plastic QR buckle. Unfortunately, the Remora elastic straps are literally the only option I have right now for using my Terics.

I don't really like depending on my computer being retained by one simple watch pin, either. If either one of those breaks with the silicone strap, it's bye-bye Teric. But, I'd rather depend on those metal watch pins than depend on a plastic QR buckle.

Using those QR buckles on the straps on my Petrel is acceptable, because there are two of them (straps) holding it on. If one breaks, I don't lose the computer. Not the case for my Terics.

What would be truly great if is you offered a 5-ring NATO strap long enough for a drysuit. They used to be available aftermarket and I have one 17" NATO strap on my one older Teric. But, it seems that nobody is making those anymore.

So, a longer Remora silicone strap, please (I don't want an extension)? Or a 15 - 17" NATO strap?

Thanks. I learned of that one last night. I guess if you are literally the only place to buy one, you can charge whatever you want. But, they were only $20 when you could get them from CountyComm (e.g. the orange one they still had in stock last week). $45 is just a little tough for me to swallow.

Shearwater has the Remora elastic strap for $20. Hopefully, Shearwater will add a longer Remora silicone strap to their offerings and/or their own NATO strap like this one - but for a price more like, well, 20 bucks.

Gah - now pining for a lost $25, didn’t find anything less expensive when I bought mine. CountyComm seems to have Maratac nato straps for $17 in stock now

Gah - now pining for a lost $25, didn’t find anything less expensive when I bought mine. CountyComm seems to have Maratac nato straps for $17 in stock now

The problem is that any that are shorter than the old Nitrox-17 are just too short. At least, for me. I have ones that will work over a rash guard. But, they won't work over a 5mm wetsuit, much less a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom