Teric Owners - Question(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClintoKL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully its ok to post some questions in this forum thread. Mods, please let me know if wrong location.

Question 1 - in the Teric I dont see the ability to set "Nitrox", Can I assume if i just Add/Edit a Gas with 32% that I dont actually need to change any setting to "Nitrox", is that correct?

Question 2 - Hypothetically, if you know you are going out for 3 dives and the first one is Air and the next 2 are Nitrox 32% and 33% respectively, that those 3 gases should be set to "ON" and you only make the tank you are actually diving on "ACTIVE", is that correct? Or should you just leave the gasses "OFF" and only "On and Active" each tank as you use it?

I will probably have a few more clarification questions as I read through the manual so hopefully I can leave this thread open and post a new question if needed. Thankyou

I can only answer your first question, but there isn't a "Nitrox" setting. You just edit the gas percentage and turn that gas on when you go to use it.

Officially, you want gases you're not going to use on the current dive to be Off, but it really only plays a role if you go into deco. (In that case, it will highlight the gas in yellow as a prompt to switch to the better gas.) If you're not going into deco, it's fine to define the three gases up front (i.e., after you analyze/mark all the tanks), making for a quick switch on the computer when you switch tanks during the surface interval.

Do note there's a difference between "On" (which means "available") and "Active" if you're looking at the gas table.

Hopefully its ok to post some questions in this forum thread. Mods, please let me know if wrong location.

Question 1 - in the Teric I dont see the ability to set "Nitrox", Can I assume if i just Add/Edit a Gas with 32% that I dont actually need to change any setting to "Nitrox", is that correct?

Question 2 - Hypothetically, if you know you are going out for 3 dives and the first one is Air and the next 2 are Nitrox 32% and 33% respectively, that those 3 gases should be set to "ON" and you only make the tank you are actually diving on "ACTIVE", is that correct? Or should you just leave the gasses "OFF" and only "On and Active" each tank as you use it?

I will probably have a few more clarification questions as I read through the manual so hopefully I can leave this thread open and post a new question if needed. Thankyou
For Question 2:

I know it's a hypothetical, but in general you want to use nitrox on your first dive(s) and switch to air for your later dives if that's all you have. You'll get better NDL times that way rather than air before nitrox.

I believe, but I'm not 100% certain, that if you leave the gas mixes as active and switch to them, it sets the PPO to 1.6, whereas if you have the ones you're not using as "Off" then it uses a 1.4 PPO for the gas you are using. If you're aware of your 1.4 MOD and don't plan on violating it, then probably not a big deal. I just edit my gas mix to the proper O2 percentage and only ever have one gas on.

First off, no questions allowed, only bloviating:wink:

second, I believe your questions have been covered.

Q1 - Correct.

Q2 - "On" is for gases you actually have with you in the water. "Active" is for the gas you are currently breathing.

So, if you are not carrying a cylinder of 32% in the water with you, it should be set to "Off" in the computer.

When you are preparing for your next dive and you want to make a different gas "Active", you can just select it, without having to turn it "On" first. However, when you do that, you should remember to turn the previous gas "Off" - unless you are also going to carry a cylinder of that previous gas in the water with you.

Don't ever lie to your computer. For example, by telling it you are carrying a gas that you are not really carrying.

If you are breathing Air and you tell your computer that you are breathing Air, but you also have 32% programmed in and set to "On", then your computer will think you are breathing Air, but have 32% available to switch to.

If your computer thinks you are breathing Air and also carrying 32%, then it will calculate your NDL based on that understanding (with the accompanying assumption that you will switch to the 32% at the appropriate time). Generally, for single tank, NDL diving, the difference that makes is very small. Nevertheless, it IS wrong. It is better to simply not do that. Do not lie to your computer. Do not have gases set to "On" unless you are carrying them and going to use them at the appropriate time.

The ONLY reason, in a Shearwater computer, to have a gas set to "On" is so the computer knows to factor that gas into its decompression calculations. It makes the assumption that you will switch to each gas that is "On" when you ascend to the MOD for that gas. For single tank diving, one gas should be Active and all others should be Off.

1. yes. the computer just cares about the gas you have on and active — anything over 21% O2 is nitrox. No other setting

2. No. You can program all the gasses you plan to use in a given day, but only the gasses you are actually carrying should be ON, and only the gas that you are currently breathing should be ACTIVE. The DC assumes that all gasses that are ON are available to the diver during the dive.

If your computer thinks you are breathing Air and also carrying 32%, then it will calculate your NDL based on that understanding (with the accompanying assumption that you will switch to the 32% at the appropriate time)
I agree it assumes you will switch once you're in deco, but I'm nearly certain it bases remaining NDL time on the Active gas rather than "best Available". (The fact you are NOT prompted to switch to a deco mix on the initial descent of any tech dive somewhat corroborates that.)

I'll check the next time I'm out, but I contend that the displayed NDL at depth will increase upon switching the Active gas to any richer EAN.

It matters also for NDL dives. Thanks f you switch on multiple gases, the computer will keep advising you to switch to the best (highest O2% within the allowed pO2 limit) by highlighting in yellow the current gas. It doesn’t affect your dive calculation unless you actually switch to that gas however it’s not best practice to dive with an alert on that can distract you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom