Teric & NDL obligation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I have the Perdix but you can go to 5 no worries.
If you have a deco stop at 6 and you go to 5 then the display goes red to tell you to go back to 6. Until you do you may be above the ceiling.

Sure, but if your intention is to end your dive with a safety stop at 5+-1, after mandatory deco, it is logical to plan your deco stop below that.
Ok, do the plan with a final stop at 6, to be sure of the gas, but I set the computer final stop to 3 so I can go shallower if conditions allow. Typically I will end up at 5. If you are stuck at 6 it all gets a bit busy.

Is it only me, but I find it disturbing that people seem to fail to understand basic decompression theory.
  • the difference between a safety stop and a decompression stop.
  • The consequence of going shallower than the specified decompression stop ceiling.
  • The effects of carrying out the decompression stop deeper than indicated by the computer.
  • The diver can add a safety stop to the dive AFTER completing the compulsory decompression.
  • The diver can dictate the time spent at the safety stop, if he wishes to do one.

I don't think there is much fail in understanding basic theory in this thread. Most of the comments are just focused on the original question concerning dive planning with Shearwater rec mode and it's safety stop countdown in dives which are not planned decompression dives and are very close to NDL limits with a short deco obligation.
I did comment about Shearwaters not going to error mode in ceiling violations. In that comment I pictured in my mind a team of rec divers doing repetitive dives with one computer giving a very short deco oblication at 3 or 6 m. Going to 5 m safety stop with others and holding all the stops there would be a change to less conservative profile, but not much. I think KenGordon is talking about longer planned deco obligations that I had in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom