Teric Battery life poor even after battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeskyMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys!

Me and my wife both have Shearwater Terics.

Mine was going through about 10% battery per night, even when the screen was off. My wife's would typically go 2 days before only dropping to 98%.

I sent mine in to get a battery replacement. After receiving it, it now drops 6% per night even when off. AI and Compass are both off.

I am reluctant to send it in again because I don't want to be without it for another 10 days, and a battery replacement did not fix the issue the first time. What do you guys think is the problem? I'm worried they'll just simply replace the battery again and I'll be stuck with the same poor battery life.

Like Rob said, trust them, contact them right now.

Turn the compass and I think the AI off when not in use and the battery will last 10 times longer.

With the AI and compass on the watch is constantly monitoring and waiting for data.
I haven’t found this to matter, I leave all settings as I use them and just turn it off with the light button.

It works for me. I believe I read the recommendation directly from Shearwater.
I remember that as a suggestion, not sure if it was from them or not. So far my terric’s don’t care, last time I charged the one I log from was May 27, 14 or so hours of dive time since and it’s at 44%. Usually charge when it’s in the mid 20% range.

I remember that as a suggestion, not sure if it was from them or not. So far my terric’s don’t care, last time I charged the one I log from was May 27, 14 or so hours of dive time since and it’s at 44%. Usually charge when it’s in the mid 20% range.
Diving definitely drains it. But turning those features off between dive trips helps keep it from draining to zero and going into a deep sleep. Of course wireless charging packs are pretty cheap so I would take one with me for multi day dive trips.

Most smart watches require nightly charging, there shouldn't be a greater expectation from a dive watch that is doing serious computing during diving.

Turn the compass and I think the AI off when not in use and the battery will last 10 times longer
In watch mode, compass & AI status don't matter. (Neither is being executed/displayed.) I do as @lexvil does.

Hi @PeskyMonkey

Your battery life is unacceptably low. As per others, I would contact Richard Morton at Dive-Tronix and arrange for repair or replacement.

United States Repair Center​

DIVE-Tronix, LLC
Richard Morton
+1 858 775 4099
Snohomish, WA, USA
usaservice@shearwater.com
DiveTronix

You may know that there is a thread in the Computer Forum specifically discussing problems people have had with Terics Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service? A clear theme from this thread is that the service from Shearwater and Dive-Tronix has been uniformly superlative.

I have had personal experience with Teric problems. Starting in May 2019, I am now on my 5th Teric and I optimistically believe that I am now off the problem list 🤞 Two of my replacements were for bad battery performance, one computer from Nov 2020 and one from Sept 2021. The last was replaced in Jan 2022 and after 4 dive trips/57 dives, I am getting a battery drain of a little less than 0.5%/day over a month. Fortunately, I am diving again next week and will have to start the battery test again, after that :)

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom