Teric and Nitrox diving - Rec divers take care re method of changing gas (affects MOD).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that the Teric behaves differently than the Perdix. I have 32% and 21% active on my Perdix and switching via Select Gases has the MOD tracking appropriately. I just looked at the my Teric, though, and and with both active the MOD for 32% was 133'. After turning off the 21%, MOD was displayed at 111'. I'm more concerned about the two behaving differently than anything else. Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee yet?

I also understand that people are uncomfortable with their understanding of PO2 and the effect of high PO2 on the body. Ultimately, either leave one gas active and use the computer the way it was designed, or take responsibility for using the computer outside of its intended design parameters. You can't abdicate your grey matter if you're not going to use the hardware as intended.

It's not a UI problem in the computer. The computer has to know what you're breathing to properly calculate your inert gas load. Making you turn on what you ARE breathing before you turn off what you WERE breathing is its way of making sure it's able to do its job properly. Trying to break its logic out for your own convenience is a pretty slippery slope. I can think of a couple scenarios that could turn out pretty poorly for those involved.

I agree re breaking its logic, or using not as intended. In my case above (non-stop diving, using air / nitrox), if I set DecoPPO2 to equal my MOD PPO2 as a 'get-around' I can't think of a scenario where it could turn out poorly for me. Could you elaborate please? (or anyone else who sees a potential issue)

A special ‘SB first computer recommendation mode’?

An annoyance with these computers is when switching the gas you are carrying you must always have one active. So if the one you were previously using is before the required one you have to turn the new one off, cycle past the irrelevant ones and then disable the old one.

The Teric has 4 buttons and allows you to go Down and Up. So, you don't have to cycle past all the irrelevant ones - on a Teric.

It seems to me like OC Rec mode would behave in an optimal manner if it only allowed you to have 1 gas enabled. So, if in OC Rec mode, you would scroll down to the gas you want to switch to, select it, and the Teric would automatically remove Active status from the old gas AND it would disable it. I.e. OC Rec seems like it really SHOULD be the "Single Gas Diver" mode that Jay was talking about.

How this started for me was reading the Release Notes of FW16. (And not having displayed MOD previously I thought I better look.).

FW16 might explain the Perdix vs Teric differences. It might be why my OP is correct as it seems consistent with those release notes.

@stuartv, do you happen to recall prior to FW16 what the MOD behaviour was for my Active Nitrox, On Air scenario?

For the Perdix owners above, if you’re reading the Teric manual, it’s still on Rev C which is pre FW16

I do not recall. To be honest, I have not dived my Teric all that much. I haven't used it with my CCR and that is what I have been mostly diving since I got my Terics. Plus, I have never dived my Teric in OC Rec mode. And I have never consulted my dive computer for an MOD.

I think my Terics are not on the latest firmware, so I suppose I could check, if you want.

I think my Terics are not on the latest firmware, so I suppose I could check, if you want.

Yes please.

The Teric has 4 buttons and allows you to go Down and Up. So, you don't have to cycle past all the irrelevant ones - on a Teric.

It seems to me like OC Rec mode would behave in an optimal manner if it only allowed you to have 1 gas enabled. So, if in OC Rec mode, you would scroll down to the gas you want to switch to, select it, and the Teric would automatically remove Active status from the old gas AND it would disable it. I.e. OC Rec seems like it really SHOULD be the "Single Gas Diver" mode that Jay was talking about.
So instead of cycling you go up and down a bit? In Rec mode on a Perdix there are only three gases but some button presses required to discover you can’t do what you may have reasonably expected to do. This breaks the principle of least surprise in my view.

So you are asking for Zoop mode? Would if have the same algorithm settings to make that ex NEDU bloke whose paper boulder john has been talking about happy too?

So instead of cycling you go up and down a bit? In Rec mode on a Perdix there are only three gases but some button presses required to discover you can’t do what you may have reasonably expected to do. This breaks the principle of least surprise in my view.

So you are asking for Zoop mode? Would if have the same algorithm settings to make that ex NEDU bloke whose paper boulder john has been talking about happy too?
Huh? This is a fairly incoherent post....

I think it’s a continuation of the earlier themed SB first computer mode dig. You know, what possibly could a newish Rec diver with a Teric possibly know ...

Yes please.

Okay, but I confess that I am not 100% on exactly what I am to test. Can you point me to a post that breaks it down, or give me somewhat of a step-by-step that you want me to do?

I think I have the general idea, but I don't want to waste a bunch of time fiddle-farting around with it only to realize I didn't follow the specific steps you needed me to. :D

Back
Top Bottom