Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it far better than trusting my life to a beep I cannot hear. The only way I know my computer is beeping is if the people around me are starting at me.

beeps should be illegal on scuba.... I was diving with a high school last weekend and we had 30+ divers in the water. They all had audible alarms and no one could tell which one was going off so everyone started trying to chase their own computers and I thought I was going insane.... Haptics at least make you know it's your own computer...

beeps should be illegal on scuba.... I was diving with a high school last weekend and we had 30+ divers in the water. They all had audible alarms and no one could tell which one was going off so everyone started trying to chase their own computers and I thought I was going insane.... Haptics at least make you know it's your own computer...

That was my experience a while back when I dove the Duane as everyone descended the stern line, there was a calliphony of beeps as most recreational computers (including both of mine at the time) have an alarm at 100ft.

I've never used a Teric but I'm sure it's fantastic. I have a Perdix AI, Petrel 1 and sold my first Petrel 1 when I bought the Perdix AI. So having owned three Shearwaters over the past 8 years or so all I can say is that they are fantastic. You cannot go wrong with either one. Make the decision based upon the features that are important to you. Personally, I would buy the Perdix AI again over the Teric. For me, the user replaceable battery and larger screen are the deciding factors for me. I don't need a wristwatch sized dive computer nor do I need rechargeable batteries.

As far as the flooding risk, I've not had a single flood ... ever. It is a non-issue.

Regarding Shearwater Cloud ... it is getting better. It still isn't the best but it's what I use. I've seen steady improvement and expect to see more over time.

As far as the flooding risk, I've not had a single flood ... ever. It is a non-issue.

You can't really say it is a non-issue when there are numerous reports of flooding. Granted most are probably user error, but it is still a small risk of the design. But one that can be fixed by simply buying the Teric.

You can't really say it is a non-issue when there are numerous reports of flooding. Granted most are probably user error, but it is still a small risk of the design. But one that can be fixed by simply buying the Teric.

Why can't I say it is a non-issue? For me, it is a non-issue. I've used Shearwater models with replaceable batteries for years. Several hundred dives. I've never had a flood. So for me, it is a non-issue. I'm speaking as a long-time user not as a company representative. Don't make my comments say more than they do.

If you (or the OP) wants to buy a Teric, than by all means buy one! I'm sure it is a fantastic computer.

Why can't I say it is a non-issue? For me, it is a non-issue. I've used Shearwater models with replaceable batteries for years. Several hundred dives. I've never had a flood. So for me, it is a non-issue. I'm speaking as a long-time user not as a company representative. Don't make my comments say more than they do.

If you (or the OP) wants to buy a Teric, than by all means buy one! I'm sure it is a fantastic computer.

Saying it is a non-issue for you is a bit different from saying it is a non-issue full stop.

I own a Teric, and the battery door issue was one of the reasons that pushed me to the Teric, as I know someone that flooded a Perdix. The other issues were the superior readability of the AMOLED screen, and the vibrating alarms.

Saying it is a non-issue for you is a bit different from saying it is a non-issue full stop.

Given that I clearly don't work for nor represent Shearwater, I was speaking form my personal experience. I'm sorry if you felt I was making a sweeping statement. That was not my intent. I thought it was clear that I was speaking from my own experiences. That was the context of my post

I own a Teric, and the battery door issue was one of the reasons that pushed me to the Teric, as I know someone that flooded a Perdix. The other issues were the superior readability of the AMOLED screen, and the vibrating alarms.

Good for you. You made the right decision for you.

For me, I far prefer replaceable batteries. Rechargeable batteries only last so long and then need to be replaced as they stop holding a solid charge. They are also not as long-lasting as traditional Lithium AAs. That is far more important to me than the theoretical risk of flooding.

I also prefer the larger screen to the sharper but smaller screen.

As to vibrating alarms, for me, that is one "feature" I couldn't care less about.

As I said, anything Shearwater makes is fantastic. You just can't go wrong with either computer. Make your decision based upon the features that matter to you. That was the whole point of my post. You bought a Teric AI for very specific reasons. I bought a Perdix AI also for very specific reasons. We both made a good decision.

For me the Teric is the go to computer, the layout of the screen is more to my liking and the screen seems much crisper to my old eyes even though it is smaller. They are both great computers form an amazing company.

Back
Top Bottom