Temp. for Dutch Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSherman:
Dutch pretty much sucks! If you dive in Florida and you have any kind of skills you should try and get on a Jersey Boat. It would be a shame to waste a trip up here diving in a quarry with trash that was sunk for training!

You can rent all the gear you would need. The only additional piece of equipment would be a pony bottle.
Thanks for everyone's imput. Even though you say Dutch might suck, at least I will be diving. I dont have the time to make on a Jersey boat. This also gives my brother a chance to refresh his skills. He has not been diving in about a year and a half and wants to dive while on his honeymoon.

RJTY:
Thanks for everyone's imput. Even though you say Dutch might suck, at least I will be diving. I dont have the time to make on a Jersey boat. This also gives my brother a chance to refresh his skills. He has not been diving in about a year and a half and wants to dive while on his honeymoon.
Although Dutch is the bathtub of scubadiving, someone who hasnt been diving in a year and a half should avoid diving the Jersey coast. You are making a wise decision to dive Dutch. Have Fun

The coldest I have seen Dutch was 39 degrees. In a dry suit it was manageable. My biggest issue with Dutch is worrying about those nasty ear infections, and of course those times of waiting in line outside the gate. I am by no means the most experienced diver, but there is so much history just off the coast I hate to waste a dive (unless I am training on new equipment) in a quarry.

I am not sure of you skill level, or your ability to use a drysuit, but this is a fantastic piece of equipment (one I will never regret buying) and should be the choice of anyone diving in cold water. It has its own bouyancy capabilities for diving doubles, and best of all......ITS WARM!

I do not mean to bust on Dutch, I am very very lucky to have this place with 45 minutes from my home, but I feel I am blessed with a 1 to 1 1/2 hour car ride to what I think is the best (in the $100 range) diving in the world. I may be a bit partial because I can not afford to dive Bikini of places like that, or fly around the world. I am pretty limited to where I can pilot my vehicle.

Good dives, be safe.

PS: Its always warmer near the rock wall/ledge at Dutch. You may want to plan a swimming safety stop along the wall to warm up.

PPS: Just watch your boyancy when you warm up, you may pop up like a cork esp if you're not that used to a 7 mil suit!

I was just at Dutch with the instructor from my LDS helping with 2 open water students. I was too lazy to get into my drysuit. BIG MISTAKE! I wore a 5mm and wasn't too bad until I dropped just below the 60 mark. Although I didn't stay there long, and knew with OW students doing check outs I wouldn't be there long either. It was cold, real cold! I will definately be more willing to take the extra 2 minutes to get into my drysuit next time!

Good diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom