Temp. for Dutch Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in West Chester. Since you'll be here I strongly recommend you visit Dudas Diving. It's a great shop with friendly, helpful staff. Stop in and say "hi" to Evelyn Dudas the first woman to ever dive the Andrea Doria.

I'm not associated with or employeed by them in any way. I'm just a happy customer.

RJTY:
This is crazy for me. The coldest I have been in is 72 in the florida springs.

Be prepared for a very different diving experience from what you're used to. The heavier suit and hood will make you feel more constricted and a bit more clausterphobic, the additional weight makes bouyancy control much trickier, and having thick gloves decreases your ability to grab small items and open pockets. You will also find it much more difficult to move throught the water. You are also going to burn through air much more quickly due to the cold and increased work effort. Just take everything slow and easy and you'll be fine.

Speaking of Dutch Springs, I'm also going to be visiting the area and will be there on Sunday Jul 30th. Anyone want to dive with a visiting Dixie Diver? I'll have a buddy with me, and he's fairly new to cold water also.

octotat:
Be prepared for a very different diving experience from what you're used to. The heavier suit and hood will make you feel more constricted and a bit more clausterphobic, the additional weight makes bouyancy control much trickier, and having thick gloves decreases your ability to grab small items and open pockets. You will also find it much more difficult to move throught the water. You are also going to burn through air much more quickly due to the cold and increased work effort. Just take everything slow and easy and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the tips. I am starting to think about my regulator. I never considered cold water when I bought it.

octotat:
Speaking of Dutch Springs, I'm also going to be visiting the area and will be there on Sunday Jul 30th. Anyone want to dive with a visiting Dixie Diver? I'll have a buddy with me, and he's fairly new to cold water also.

Sure, drop me a PM. If I can get pass this brush with the flu, that is.

Check out our club website. Always guys to dive with and I expect a pretty good group this coming weekend.

Dutch pretty much sucks! If you dive in Florida and you have any kind of skills you should try and get on a Jersey Boat. It would be a shame to waste a trip up here diving in a quarry with trash that was sunk for training!

You can rent all the gear you would need. The only additional piece of equipment would be a pony bottle.

octotat:

I did the Lehigh valley divers equip and everything was great. EXCEPT, I need a personal heater in my suit. I'm pretty okey with being called a "warm water diver"... I'll be back to dutch, but only when the water warms up... in september...:mooner:

TSherman:
Dutch pretty much sucks! If you dive in Florida and you have any kind of skills you should try and get on a Jersey Boat. It would be a shame to waste a trip up here diving in a quarry with trash that was sunk for training!

You can rent all the gear you would need. The only additional piece of equipment would be a pony bottle.

I agree but I wouldn't suit a warm water diver up with unfamiliar rented cold water gear and a new pony bottle and throw him or her in Wreck Valley waters and wish them a great first north east dive. That's just asking for trouble, regardless of the persons experience level.

Perhaps a better option is going to Dutch OR just decide to skip the diving all together and do something else.:wink: JMHO's.

I will be diving Dutch on the 30th. I am doing my mapping project for Divemaster on the helicopter. I will be on that site all day. See ya there

The water below 60 feet at Dutch is rarely above 50 degrees year round. The neat stuff at 70-100 feet will always be in the forties. The only warm water will be at 30 feet and it is the warmest in late July to mid August. From late November to early May the temps are usually pretty much the same top to bottom. The coldest I have seen has been 36 degrees.

Cold water diving takes more preparation but is just as much fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom