Temp. for Dutch Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJTY

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be visiting my brother in West Chester for his wedding in August. Wanted to try to get to Dutch Springs while I was there. In Florida, I dont wear a wetsuit during Summer and I use a 3/2 during winter. Will my 3/2 be enough for Dutch Springs in August?

No, unless you stay above 25 feet and the only thing above 25 feet to see is the dive platforms. In August, expect about three thermoclines or so. The surface to about 25 feet will be nice and toasty in the mid to upper 70's. 25 feet to about 40 expect mid 60's give or take and then below 40 or 45 feet temps will vary btwn 50-55 in August. If you hit the bottom about 90 feet then you could get into the 40's in August. These temps also change a little bit depending on the season, but after almost 5 yrs of diving there this is my experience. Have fun!

Most will use 7mil, 6mil gloves, 6mil hood all season. I dive it dry all season and am glad I do.

WOW..thanks for the response. That seems like a lot of changes. I hate to buy something just for one day of diving. Maybe I can rent a 7 mil from a local shop or something.

RJTY:
WOW..thanks for the response. That seems like a lot of changes. I hate to buy something just for one day of diving. Maybe I can rent a 7 mil from a local shop or something.

LOL! Welcome to northern diving :D If its August and you don't like the water temp, change your depth a few feet :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

RJTY:
Go to www.dutchsprings.com and find the link to the local dive shop located about 1/4 mile from Dutch. I believe they rent wet suits but many shops will require you to buy your own hood and gloves. Don't know about this little shop, but I do see a ton of 7mils drying out in front of their shop at the end of the diving day. Dutch rents tanks and weights but nothing else. You could use thinner gloves and hood easily above 25 feet but the deeper dives will be cut short without thicker hood and gloves.:wink:

7 mil, hood, gloves...Ok, I still have to do it though. This wedding is making me miss dives down here, so I will just dive up there.

Lehigh Valley Scuba is down the road and there's Kanuku not too far across the NJ border. Both rent wetsuits as far as I know. I dove DS about a month ago and got away with 3 mil hood/gloves. Then again, the rest of me was DRY..ah.

Bobby

Was there this past weekend. Mid to upper 70*'s from the surface to about 25-30', 60*'s from 30' to about 60'. 50*'s below the last thermocline. I dive a 7mm two piece, hood, and gloves. You should be able to rent a 7mm from a LDS. There is one next door to Dutch (well almost next door) called Lehigh Valley Divers?? (something or rather). You might be able to do a google search and give them a call to see if they rent wetsuits.

EDIT - Sorry posted after previous posts for the dive shop.....

We did 2 dives on 7/15.
One our first dive, we went down to 58ft. My computer read 54F.
On our second dive, we went down to 60 ft, My computer read 51F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom