Tell us about your most recent "first"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The title says it all. Tell us about your most recent "first".

For me it was a dive last weekend in a lake where we train a lot. We planned a dive to 39 metres for 20-25 min on the bottom but didn't expect to get deeper than 36 because we thought that's how deep the lake was. During the dive we took a different direction than usual and it kept getting deeper and deeper until we were at the planned 39 and the bottom started falling off sharply... :)

For me the first time at 39 meters in the local lake and the first time I noticed that it was deeper than 36.

At the 6 metre stop the reg on my buddy's stage also packed it in. This was a first for both of us (mostly his experience but I did my part to support him). We had lots of bailout options so it wasn't a big stress.

R..

I saw my first blue ringed octopus on the weekend which was very exciting. It was in about 6m of water under a jetty. Here's a pic of it...

I also found my first nudibranch in Victorian waters a few weeks ago. I've seen some interstate and overseas, but none locally. After two years of searching I was rapt to find this little guy...

Mel :)

Did my first cold water dive in a 7mm double suit last week. I guessed wrong on the weights and could not get down. It's one thing to be a newbie and quite another to look like one....

:thinkingo

Hopefully this weekend will be my first dive *below* 100 feet... but last weekend was my first dive with a *cough*ponybottle*cough*..

I had a lot of first last month at Palau. Being a fairly new diver (35 dives before Palau and 63 after) it was my first time on a Live Aboard, Drift Diving, reef hooking at Blue Corner and Pelilieu Cut, doing a drift night dive on a wall, being surrounded by 15 sharks at once, seeing more turtles and rays then one can imagine, being hooked in current so strong that I had to hold my reg in my mouth, doing safety stops in the blue with no reference lines, flying first class, and so many others that I can’t even remember….. AWSOME!!

My most recent first is nowhere near as exciting.

For the first time since I started diving I'm totally bored with what I've been doing. I didn't do much over the winter (a first) and haven't even been able to force myself to haul the gear out to see what it looks like. I've seen all the local stuff a gazillion times and nothing I can think of seems worth the cost and work. I've seen all I can in the Missouri caves without really making a project out of it and that doesn't even seem worth it. I get blown out on the Great Lakes as often as not and still have 4 sets of doubles full of 18/45 that didn't get used the last time I got blown out. Even at that, 2 days of wreck dives with gas, lodging and charter fees costs us about a thousand bucks (for my wife and I) and these days there just isn't any broken boat that I want to pay a thousand bucks to see...and I've probably already seen it. I thought about forcing myself to do a local dive. I'd probably enjoy it once I was in the water but I'd have to dump all that expensive mix. On the other hand doing a dive where I need the expensive mix after not being in the water all winter probably isn't a great idea. I need to find something new to see or do underwater or I'm probably going to turn into a once or twice a year diver...if that.

How's that for a first? Should be in the whining forum huh?

Logged dive # 150 last Sunday- nice little solo dive in my side yard :wink:

Well, it began with a nice quiet dinner, then show ... oh you mean in diving! :11: :wink:

Okay, after getting Nitrox certified, my first dive on Nitrox would be one the most recent (funny, it tasted like air....) but the most memorable would be my first night dive off the old Frederiksted Pier (pre-1994). At that time, the pier accommodated cruise ships and required a 10-20 jump into the water (why the dive operators insisted on that ... I'll never know). The dive was great ... all the colors on those pier structure not to mention a sea horse. Getting back up was easier (gear was hauled up and one climbed a ladder up to the pier level). I understand that night dives are now done from shore entries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom