Tell me about the Conshelf 14 regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenderson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There's someone selling a Conshelf 14 with octo, pressure gauge and depth meter. They say it's brand new and want $250 for it. I tried looking for more information about them, age, original cost, how they perform, but either I get info on other Conshelf regs or when I find info on the 14 it says only able to sell to military personnel.

Is there a way to tell how old these might be? The other stuff they have for sale seems a bit older.

How hard would it be to get them serviced? I've seen the service manual for them, but not much else.

How do they perform? I'm looking at my first reg set, not really looking to do cold water stuff right now, the coldest I've done is low 60s, and I'd rather stay above that. I don't think that I'll be doing anything below 100' as I'm only OW at the moment.

The Conshelf 14 is a basic, old school regulator. The design of the first and second stage is straightforward, simple, and reliable. It is the kind of thing you could either dive with and maintain yourself for the rest of your diving career or swap out in 6 months for something flashier, lighter, and more modern.

$250. for the whole setup seems good as long as everything really is new and good quality. You might want to post the specifics of the octopus and gauges.

I bought my Conshelf 14 in 1985. It is bulletproof, veteran of many shore dives and boat dives in California. In 1985, it was a top of the line regulator that would soon be replaced by the plastic housing variants such as the Conshelf 21 and Conshelf SEA. Apparently some divers did not like jaw-fatigue induced by the brass hosing of the 14.

From what I understand, the are sill the military standard training and open circuit scuba regulator. Hence the only info you can find it new is as military issued equipment.

I don't use mine much anymore as it has a limited number of LP ports, which means none for my drysuit inflator hose. Servicing has never been a problem through a Aqaulung shop, but it has been a while since I had mine serviced. It still works very well.

Check on servicing. It really is the interior parts that matter, not the brass housing. If servicing and parts are available, it might be a good regulator to own.

ask for pictures. anything that says XIV instead of 14 is going to be older. also look for 4 LP ports on the first stage and the adjustment port on the 2nd.

super easy to service and rugged. the toyota hilux of regs.

Does it look like this
001.JPG

I had my Conshelf XIV serviced by my LDS back in January. Blue Water Divers here in Oklahoma. They had no qualms with servicing it at all. No problems getting parts from Aqua Lung. No trying to upsell me on a newer plastic rig. I did buy an Aqualung Dive Computer from them. Until now I've always run Navy Dive Tables and analog gauges and a Seiko Dive Watch. So now I'm using an Archaic Conshelf XIV Regulator that is still going strong since '83 with a I550C Dive Computer. I just recently switched over to a BP/W too. Still using my Rocket Fins though.:)

Why is the sale of the regulator restricted?

Not for any good reason.
The Navy settled on it Decades ago and struck a deal with Aqua Lung for ETERNAL support.
There is a lot of stuff that USN still uses that NO ONE else does that Aqua Lung still provides the Navy.
If you want a modern Conshelf just get a Legend. It has the same internals.

The Conshelf XIV was made from the 70s to the 90s. It had 1 3/8 in HP port and 3 3/8 in LP ports. It was an unsealed balanced diaphragm first stage. There was a first stage variant that sealed the first stage with silicone liquid called Conshelf Supreme. It was a very good regulator and great performer at recreational depths.

The Conshelf 14 was made from the 90s and is still made today. The first stage has 1 7/16 in HP port and 4 3/8 in LP ports. The inside is the same as a Conshelf XIV and the service kit is the same. The Conshelf 14 second stage is still chromed brass but has a side port that makes adjustment easier to access. It's primarily made for the military but is available to the public.

You can get a new one here for about $770:

Aqua Lung Conshelf XIV Regulator 1st Stage 2nd Stage 1081-00

The Amron catalog calls it a Conshelf XIV but you can see in the picture that it is a 14.

$250 is a great price for that package new and would be a great price for a gently used one too. Just make sure you have easy access to an Aqualung dealer to get it serviced. Any Aqualung dealer should service it, if not, find another Aqualung dealer. They are very easy to service and parts are readily available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom