Tell me about the Conshelf 14 regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like the fist stage is a Conshelf XIV not a 14. It's easy to put a 14 yoke screw on a XIV first stage. If it is a XIV, the first 2 digits of the serial number stamped on it would indicate the year it was manufactured.

Like I said, great reg but no way it's a 2014 model. I did a little catalog digging and found a note indicating the side port was put on the metal second stage started in 1997 and the octo was made between 98 and 2004. I suppose it's possible the adapter we see is a 7/16 to 3/8 to use an older SPG hose with a newer first stage, I have seen it done/done it. I am beginning to think this may be Frankenstein reg, one put together with various parts, nothing wrong with that but still, not a "new in 2014" reg. Also, notice all the other gear he has for sell is in the early to mid 70s vintage, while not really proof of anything, it does make you wonder.

Even though the Conshelf is a great regulator, as a new diver I think I would feel better buying a brand new modern regulator with a factory backed warranty. It will probably cost you more, but as a novice it is one less thing you have to worry about.

Like any reg with a fixed volcano orifice, the key is the volcano's condition, since it is not replaceable.
The test is an IP check. Stick that $18 gauge on it, and see if it locks up (even though it might lock up out of spec pressure). Make that a condition of purchase (especially for a "new" regulator).

If it doesn't lock up, but the pressure creeps higher and higher, you have no way of knowing if it just requires a simple seat change (a standard
service), or if the volcano has been scratched (since it is unlikely that it really is new). While many of us can polish that volcano for you, if it's been damaged, you're better off looking elsewhere for your first set. Just get the guy to agree to a return if it fails that simple test (see @couv's checklist).
Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

There was a time when Aqua Lung were very handy but today we are a mostly a paperless society.

:wink:

Ok they are good regulators

Well after reading through all of this, and contacting the person, I let it go. At 3-350 to get it up and running I decided it wasn't worth it since I couldn't tell if it really was new or not.

The only issue I have with my Conshelf XIV is that can't be used with a drysuit as it has only 3 LP but it's definitely a solid piece of hardware compared to other I've tested so far. I was not aware that there is newer version (14) and having 4 LP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom