Tell me about Diving the Pensacola area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalRich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have read that there is plenty of wreck diving, But I am curious about the reefs, and water clarity? ect.
We have been to the Keys, but might have an opportunity to visit the gulf early next year.
Thanks in advance,
SoCalRich.

The reefs are not coral reefs. They are limestone outcroppings that typically rise 1-3' off the bottom. Although some spots like "Mr. Greens" reef can be 10' or higher. You'll find sponges and some soft corals on the reefs, but very little in the way of hard corals. With the decline of corals in the Keys though, the two types of reefs are starting to resemble each other more. Like reefs anywhere though, the ones in the northern Gulf attract a variety of fish and invertebrate life. These reefs tend to be further offshore and fairly deep, usually 100-140'. The visibility tends to be pretty good, with 40' pretty normal. It is the ocean though and I've actually run into the bottom because I couldn't see it. I've also had days with 100'. You'll usually hit a thermocline and the water temp often drops a good ten degrees. My old logs show typical bottom temperatures in the low 70s. The natural reefs come closer to shore in Destin (an hour east) and you can find some nice reefs in the 60-80' range. If you're really into coral reefs, these may not be your cup of tea, but I love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom