tell me about diving Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My sisters and I are planning to book the Siren boat that will be running out of Fiji/Volivoli in 2014. The boat is being built now.

My question is, what is the diving around the land based Voli Voli (the first week of the trip) like? How are the reefs? Is there muck? critters? or mostly pelagics? What are the reef and fish populations like? How about the boat accessible areas around Volivoli?

ANY information, good and bad, are appreciated!

Thanks!

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 06:12 PM ----------

I'm bumping this thread in hopes of some info.

Last edited:
Allison,

The Siren fleet will be hitting Volivoli in September this year, long before 2014. I work with the exclusive US agent for VoliVoli in California and they have some trip reports posted. Tara Sutherland from New Zealand / Au also takes groups to VoliVoli independent of the US agent. I expect to start booking groups there after Beneath the Sea this March. The resort is on the northernmosttip of the island of Viti Levu and the Blight Waters reefs are spectacular. You may find some advantages on air packages booking with an agent as overweight bag coupons are available with an agent and not available over the ticket counter. I'd be glad to send you info I have off forum if you are interested. We have spaces available in October and November this year on the Fiji Siren.

Don't know anything about diving on North Viti Levu where Voli Voli is. However I read the boat will be travelling to the Lomaiviti group! I worked over that way for two years on Gau, I suspect if you head out that way you will dive Ngali passage, Jim's Alley etc. Fantastic diving.

Ngali is still one of my favourite dives to this day!

The Manta's over at Wakaya are nice but Gau Island also has a great Manta season from June-October time, if you get to the bay between Nukuwaeni & Somosomo village for sunset time it is a feeding frenzy in there! We used to see up to 40+ big M.alfredi in there and it is a tiny bay!

My sisters and I are planning to book the Siren boat that will be running out of Fiji/Volivoli in 2014. The boat is being built now.

My question is, what is the diving around the land based Voli Voli (the first week of the trip) like? How are the reefs? Is there muck? critters? or mostly pelagics? What are the reef and fish populations like? How about the boat accessible areas around Volivoli?

ANY information, good and bad, are appreciated!

Thanks!

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 06:12 PM ----------

I'm bumping this thread in hopes of some info.

The diving in that area can only be described as World Class. I lived and dived up there for 18 months. Expect currents and soft corals to blow you away. It's the area where they filmed a lot of the IMAX underwater footage.

The Vatu-I-Ra passage is the area between the 2 main islands of Fiji, so everything gets funneled through there. Both the other liveaboard dive boats based in Fiji head to this area, for good reason!

The Volivoli gang (Ra Divers) have been diving in the area for a number of years, so have plenty of experience.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Allison,

The Siren fleet will be hitting Volivoli in September this year, long before 2014.

True, but we are looking at booking the entire boat and have to go that far to have an empty boat.

I work with the exclusive US agent for VoliVoli in California and they have some trip reports posted. Tara Sutherland from New Zealand / Au also takes groups to VoliVoli independent of the US agent. I expect to start booking groups there after Beneath the Sea this March. The resort is on the northernmosttip of the island of Viti Levu and the Blight Waters reefs are spectacular. You may find some advantages on air packages booking with an agent as overweight bag coupons are available with an agent and not available over the ticket counter. I'd be glad to send you info I have off forum if you are interested. We have spaces available in October and November this year on the Fiji Siren.

I would LOVE to read trip reports! Any way you could send me some links to them? That would be great info. THANKS!

BTW, is there any good muck in the area? I love the muck!

True, but we are looking at booking the entire boat and have to go that far to have an empty boat.

I would LOVE to read trip reports! Any way you could send me some links to them? That would be great info. THANKS!

BTW, is there any good muck in the area? I love the muck!

I've dived out of Wananavu twice with Ra Divers and also a couple of times over at Naigani in the Lomaiviti group....whilst some brilliant coral pinnacle and soft corals diving with heaps of small fish and the odd big pelagic...this is not really famous as regards critters and muck. You will see Long NOsed Hawkfish, Ornate Pipe Fish of several kinds; Blue Ribbon Eels, Leaf Fish, etc....but it is mainly a hard coral sand substrate and lacks the black sand or silt typical of muck diving. There maybe some sites, but for muck head to Dumaguete in the Philippines; Lembeh in North Sulawesi or Kapalai and Mabul in North Borneo. I love muck too, but the blue water and masses of life in the Bligh Water and the Lomaiviti group (Wakaya Wall is amazing) take a lot of beating. And this is real adventure diving as so few divers ever get the chance.....

Allison, the prime US agent's dive shop website is:

2012 VOLIVOLI BEACH

This is a 2012 trip report. I know she was doing some FAM trips for agents and I was thinking of booking a group in September, still planning. Maybe after Beneath the Seas dive show in March. Quote below.

"Fiji isn't the bathtub Caribbean. November starts into their wet
season/Summer going thru March and into April. We were there in Feb 2011,
caught outer bands of cyclone centered in Vanuatu so first couple of days
was a stiff learning curve for some of our warm water only wussie divers,
kicking against currents and getting on and off the dive boats in choppy
seas. Those who dive Monterey Bay of course had no problem. After first
kick up couple of days, things settled down and the water was warm low to
mid 80s and smooth as glass - great diving. June this year we got some wind
and water was high 70s but it didn't keep us out of the Passage. Older
crowd (my husband Andy) got a bit cold towards the end of the second week of
diving and could have used a 5 mil. Usually 3 mil is fine unless the person
generally gets cold more than the norm. It is the Pacific Ocean - deep!
It is "warm" water diving but it does have seasons. Younger ones sometimes
dive in trunks but I don't recommend it. You want a full suit to ward off
coral burn and critter stings in the water. We noticed the usually intense
colors in the Passage weren't as brilliant in June as it had been in Feb and
think it had to do with the angle of the sun. In 2009 we were there end of
September - a bit windy - beautiful weather and water in the mid to high
70s. No problem getting to the passage with those high powered engines on
the Ra Divers boats. I assume your people take out trip insurance - a must
when traveling to remote destinations. No refunds at this tiny resort.
Fiji is definitely adventure travel. That is why we love it! You sometimes
have to work to get to experience those places that offer the best diving in
the world. Currents are what you want in Vatu-I-Ra Passage. Currents bring
in the food that causes the coral to open up to feed. The nutrients also
bring in the small fish that bring in the big guys to feed on the smaller
fish. Good fins and decent leg strength and it is fabulous.
I compare diving Fiji to Florida. The best and warmest diving you can get
in Florida is during hurricane season. If you don't get a huge tropical
storm and hurricane, the diving is spectacular - flat seas and warmest
water. That is how it is in Fiji. June July and August have great weather
with little rain because VBR is on the dry side of the island anyway. Even
in wet summer season Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, VBR gets less rain than they get
over on the eastern side at Pacific Harbor/Beqa Lagoon area.

Yes, we are all veteran divers in the Pacific. We spend a least a month a year there, mostly in either PNG or Indonesia. None of us, however, have been to Fiji and are booking a trip there. We will be booking the whole boat and filling it with people we have dived with along the way who are all good basic divers. We were just trying to get an idea of what to expect of the diving there. Any ideas of what to expect of the types of reefs, pelagic sites vs critter sites etc. will be very welcome. Thanks for the info on the temp changes due to upwelling. I travel with a 3 mil and 3mil core warmer. Will definitely make sure the core warmer makes the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom