Tell me about dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do they come in combination with dive watches? How important are they to have? And why are they so darn expensive?

TIA

To try and answer your questions simply, yes there are watch computers out there from several manufacturers. I have dove with a Mares Puck and the Oceanic OC which are both great computers at different ends of the cost and functional spectrums. There importance is something only you can answer based on your type and frequency of diving. As for cost, entry level basic, but good, computers are not too expensive at a couple hundred dollars. The more function you want the more it will cost. Me personally, I don't dive without my computer.

Thanks for the replies...yes, that price range is much more managable...I must have been looking at an expensive site because they were lots more than that.

PDC have to potential to them they act as functional Watch and dive computer. They are stylish and compact. Basic would give you depth, temp and dive profile. Connect to a computer and it offer a graph. Citizen watch has some. Mares offers a couple of models and Oceanic has a few models. With the option of integrated wireless transmitter. I'd stay with a gauge until you get a 100 dives. Enjoy the diving and scenery. Once you build the experience you'll be able to grasp the concept of a dive computer. They're excellent for Nitrox divers as well.

P.S. The PDC is similar to have your dive tables, calculation, Surface Intervals in a compact form and offer you the data and information in a flash. A few key strokes are required to operate properly. Worthwhile later on.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Reactions: EFB
They are more of a convenience but are very close to must have. When you plan a dive with tables you are assuming a square pattern of diving with the deepest dive first. Dive computers will allow for up and down with deeper dives coming later in the dive. You can still dive with tables but computer so much more convenient especially with repeated dives on the same day.

The price is a subject of function. You will have to decide if you want a basic computer for time, depth, and temperature or other features like a countdown for remaining dive time, nitrox, other air mixes, etc. Air Integration is very convenient but also more expensive. It should at least be capable of nitrox so you can grow into your computer. Some will allow you to check your buddies air as well with air integration. A few will have a digital compass as one of the features. A very basic computer should not be too expensive.

As you gain experience you may also want to determine what algorithm the computers use. Some manufacters use a very conservative algorithm - Suunto in particular. If you dive with a buddy who has a more liberal algorithm your computer may be giving you an alarm and your buddy's computer may still be in a green 'safe zone.' Some Oceanic computers actually allow you to choose the algorithm, but as the features grow on the computer so does the cost.

You can get a console style with hose attatchment or wrist. The wrist mount has two basic style, console size which is larger and watch style which is smaller and slimmer. Watch style as name implies can also be used topside as a watch.

I currently use an Aeris XR-1. Very basic but still gives me everything I need on a dive, but I have to use a separate SPG for air. I found this particular computer online at scubatoys in their open box demo area for $125. I will eventually upgrade to an AI computer soon, but will now have a back up. It works very well for now. I'ts too large and bulky to use as a watch, but for the the price would prefer the dive computer to dive watch and tables.

Good luck, safe diving.

Last edited:
Reactions: EFB
There are some computers that can be worn as watches, but having owned one, I would say that one shouldn't think the dive computer will double as one's daily life watch. They are still bigger than the usual watch, and they're expensive enough that you might not want to put them through the travails of daily wrist life.

I think it's better just to choose a dive computer to use as a dive computer. They are expensive because a lot of testing has to go into the algorithm incorporated in the computer, and a lot of testing has to go into the computer itself . . . lawsuits because folks got bent are very, very expensive. Liability insurance for dive computer manufacturers has got to be awful, too. Creating an electronic device with a usable interface that doesn't leak and is 99.9% reliable is an expensive process.

Since you asked:

1) FREE online class How To Choose a Dive Computer
Discuss various types of dive computers and shows how to use the Dive Computers Research Tool to sort out the jungle out there (more than 100 models in our database)

2) Online class Introduction to Dive Computers ($4.00)
Reviews theory of operation of dive computers, then discusses in detail one implementation and compares it with Dive Tables. It also covers the several indicators you will find in dive computers. Lots of videos

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Since you asked:

1) FREE online class How To Choose a Dive Computer
Discuss various types of dive computers and shows how to use the Dive Computers Research Tool to sort out the jungle out there (more than 100 models in our database)

2) Online class Introduction to Dive Computers ($4.00)
Reviews theory of operation of dive computers, then discusses in detail one implementation and compares it with Dive Tables. It also covers the several indicators you will find in dive computers. Lots of videos

Alberto (aka eDiver)

EFB,

The advice from Alberto above is a very sound advice at very little cost (almost no cost). The courses and tools his site offers are great. I am surprised with how little they cost (some are actually FREE).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom