Telford Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a shallow (20 - 50') cave right on the Suwannee River in Florida.

texdiveguy:
So from the video it appears that there is a 'perminate' larger line in the cave systems you filmed in,,,,I understand that is common in the more common Fl. caves?

Some caves do have perminent lines we refer to as "main lines" usually of a thicker line and of color other than white, this is not always the case however.

now for my general disclaimer

These lines are usually pulled into the systems to keep them hidden, in Mexico the lines were so far back in some caves it took two primaries spun all the way out to get to them, so please no one watch the video and go oh they already have line lets just go in and find it :)

disclaimer over

Discussing such things makes me nervous because I have been greated by OW divers in the water asking me where the line was at, not that I think your going to go jumping in holes Alan but some people will see, read, not think and go.

Debraw:
Good video, interesting to see what it's like. I would not be a good cave diver, i got a little apprehensive just watching the video, much less squeezing into those small spaces. Thanks for posting it.

Video can't capture the flow, sounds, the feelings of those sounds resonating, the colors, or the feeling of whats around the corner, but its the best we can do!

FIXXERVI6:
Some caves do have perminent lines we refer to as "main lines" usually of a thicker line and of color other than white, this is not always the case however.

now for my general disclaimer

These lines are usually pulled into the systems to keep them hidden, in Mexico the lines were so far back in some caves it took two primaries spun all the way out to get to them, so please no one watch the video and go oh they already have line lets just go in and find it :)

disclaimer over

Discussing such things makes me nervous because I have been greated by OW divers in the water asking me where the line was at, not that I think your going to go jumping in holes Alan but some people will see, read, not think and go.

Thanks for the explain.

FixxerV16 ... I saw those rope lines too and had the scary thought about folks following those that had no business there. 'Not you guys of course.
I've spotted some lines going into caves before and it's just about all a person can do to not follow them and see where they go. :no

'Good idea to add the disclaimer :wink:

BTW ... I enjoyed watching the fin work and anti silting techniques.
It looks easy but it isn't.

Are those the same fins LooseBits was retro fitting using a steak knife the last time I saw you guys ? :D

( I 'gots ta get me a knife like that :crafty: )

Timeliner:
FixxerV16 ... I saw those rope lines too and had the scary thought about folks following those that had no business there. 'Not you guys of course.
I've spotted some lines going into caves before and it's just about all a person can do to not follow them and see where they go. :no

Are those the same fins LooseBits was retro fitting using a steak knife the last time I saw you guys ? :D

Oh yeah, I remember that. Uhh, you should see them now. I don't even want to try and describe what I've had to do to get them to fit my mongo feet. I was the dude in front doing the line work. Those are a pair of OMS Slipstreams that I picked up over at Cave Excersions while I was there (I always try to support a local dive shop) for my wetsuit diving. My old wetsuit fins, a pair of Mares Avantis, were on their tenth year and seem to have loss some of their stiffness over the years (or maybe I'm just used to Turtles). Anyway, I picked up those 2XL OMS's and I love them, they are very light (they actually float) and are shaped exactly the same as XL Jets except with a bigger foot pocket.

That cave was actually a lot of work and I turned it well before we hit thirds. Most of the cave we had to be within a foot of a very nasty bottom and it gets a little tiring constantly maintaining buoyancy with such percision especially considering how bad the viz was (for a cave anyway, I'd kill for Travis to be that clear).

Ouuuu… OMS Slipstreams do tell. :popcorn:

loosebits:
Those are a pair of OMS Slipstreams that I picked up over at Cave Excersions while I was there (I always try to support a local dive shop) for my wetsuit diving.

Avanti’s getting weak- lets see you are diving with double steel 108’s- :rofl3:
It's that little thing called MASS moving through a firehose!
Mass here is reference to tanks and nothing else- heavens forbid I make a refrence to the pope or the cartoon text book called the Koran. :confused:

Andrew

I have been eying a pair of OMS Slipstreams for my 'moon boots' on my drysuit. The thing that really kills me is that the OMS spring straps cost more than the fins! I have heard good reports on their performance,,,couple of the guys I dive with use them and are pleased,,,,maybe I will buy a pair for both diving wet and dry and fab my own springs.

Great fins. XL Jets were too small for my wetsuit boot (14) and the Turtles were too big (obviously XXL Jets would be out of the question). The XXL Slipstreams are perfect. The pocket is taller and wider and the blade looks to be poured from the same mold as the XL Jets. The blade is at least as stiff as the Jets, maybe a bit stiffer, don't remember.

Those old Avanti's served me well but as I am starting to do more cave diving in a wetsuit (a 7/5 seems perfect for the Live Oak area caves), they needed to be replaced.

Oh, 108's are for weenies, I dive man-tanks: PST 104's. I just like all the extra steel :)

texdiveguy:
I have been eying a pair of OMS Slipstreams for my 'moon boots' on my drysuit. The thing that really kills me is that the OMS spring straps cost more than the fins! I have heard good reports on their performance,,,couple of the guys I dive with use them and are pleased,,,,maybe I will buy a pair for both diving wet and dry and fab my own springs.

Any spring straps should work. Jets, Turtles, OMS, they all use the exact same strap mounting.

Timeliner:

In the cow video there is a rope AND a line, the rope is there as a poor mans scooter to cross some areas that have no rock but plenty of clay on the bottom that could get destroyed fighting the flow in that cave, pull on a cave line like that and your gonna be in trouble real quick!

As for the fins rand answered, but I really want to get my hands on some slipstreams to try out, I want a larger stiffer fin than my turtles for my drysuit, when I dive wet I use XL jets and they feel like I strap on booster rockets, flow, whats that, jets shred right through it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom