teens with own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah i've got all my own gear
Halcyon stainless steel Eclipse backplate/wing works great and Oceanic Delta 2 Reg. on a long hose.

I've just started diving 6 months ago, and I only have mask, fins, snorkel and a 7mm shortie. Sould I have more equipment than this? Plus, how do you get time to use all this equipment with school? I'm 12 and I only have time to go once a week, in a swimming pool with my instructor. And ... Just out of interest, Are you family divers too?

My dad dives (we got our ow together) but i've done 3-4 times as many dives as him. I dont even get to dive once a month now!! but i like having my own gear when i do dive because i know everything about it. as for you, i guess you could get gear, but since you are still growing i'm not sure its a great idea if you are going to need a new bc every year or two. and if i was only diving in a pool i wouldn't want my own gear exposed to all that chlorine. just my 2 cents

I'm the only diver in the family,but i still get alot of support from my folks.I agree with FLY N DIVE,you shld wait until at least when you reach 15 or 16 then you start to get the rest of the gear.I also agree that the chlorine in the pool will do damage to your bc,therefore it will be a good thing that you start to get the gears after you are allowwed to go to dive in open water.

Darren

Working in a dive shop I get a lot of people coming in (especially new divers) asking what and when should I inveset in this equipment, and the first thing I ask them (living in Iowa) is how much do you dive. If it's one or two trips MAX a year to the carribean and no local diving, I suggest getting just mask, fins, snorkel and a wetsuit. The personal items, 'cause you don't who blew their nose in that mask before you, you certainly don't want a fin that dosn't fit, who knows about that last guys mouth on your snorkel, and as far as wetsuits, we all know what happens. But if they say I do a ton of diving with your shop in the pool, I go to your events in the quarry, and also with other classes in the quarry, and am frequently in the carribean, then I start getting out catalogs with the regs and bcds as well.
So the best advice I can give is, ask yourself, how much will you use it, where, when, and if you are like me and your body changed shape every two weeks will this stuff fit me in a year or so.
Ryan

I'll speak on behalf of my 14 year old and my 4 year old. The 14 year old has her own gear, and my 4 year old does as well....to cute if you ask me. He actually has a system I made for him that is perfectly safe and does not allow him to sink. He is a natural at the sport already.

Peace

i too writing for our 12yr niece because i just dont trust the kid site/threads... she has sherwood oasis regs, sherwood wisdom computer and seatec semi-dry wetsuit. Her bcd at the moment is a oceanic but Ive been looking at a Zeagle Zena but hubby is thinking a Zeagle Ranger.

her "theme" colour is purple by the way so fins/maks/clips/wetsuit are all shades of purple.

I have a 13 year old and 15 year old with identical gear for the most part:

Aeris Atmos XT BCs
H2Odyssey regs
Aeris Atmos 1 dive computers
One has a Bare 7MM and the Other a Henderson GoldCore 5/7 mm
H2Odyssey booties, hoods and gloves
Oceanic masks
XScuba snorkels
Both have Aeris fins - can't remember now which models

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom