Teen drowns at North Texas scuba park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe-Diver:
Fatality?:huh:

The last information I have as of 7:00 PM last evening is that this girl was still alive. I have not heard differently. As for the instructor who had a non diving related medical issue a weekend ago, she is also alive and improving last I knew (at least as of yesterday afternoon).

"News Center 820
Teen Drowns at Scuba Park

KAUFMAN C0UNTY (WBAP) - A southern Oklahoma family is mourning the death of a teenager who drowned at a Kaufman County scuba park on Sunday afternoon. 16-year-old ********* ******** had just completed her scuba certification and was diving with her father and two friends when, according to investigators, she panicked in 20 feet of water and lost the breathing regulator from her mouth.

********* had a pulse when she arrived at Terrell Medical Center and was transferred to Children's Medical Center in Dallas, where she was later pronounced dead.

Robert Cameron, the owner of Clear Springs Scuba Park, near Terrell, says *********'s is the third drowning at the facility since it opened on June 15, 2000. He says the two previous accidents involved older swimmers with other health problems.

*********'s grandmother, *******, told WBAP that her granddaughter was an accomplished musician at Durant High School and a skilled swimmer. She says ********* held a lifeguard certification and had planned to teach swimming lessons during the summer."

"Durant Local News report

Scuba diving certification goes wrong

Durant student perishes while seeking diving certification

The Durant School District is saddened by the loss of one of its students in a scuba diving accident Sunday.

*****************, 16, Caddo, died at Children's Medical Center in Dallas.

She was a freshman at Durant High School.

Durant Schools Superintendent Dr. Terry James said counselors were at the high school today to meet with students.

“On behalf of the students and staff, our thoughts and prayers go out to the family,” James said.

Funeral services for ******** are pending with Dalton-Holmes Funeral Home."

This is what drives me crazy about the newspaper business, and also why I no longer wish to be associated with that industry. If a victim, is "expected to survive," then it is NOT a drowning! It can be a near-drowning, but if it's a drowning incident, then the victim did not survive.

I know you guys might be on deadline, but GET IT RIGHT!! :mad:

ScubaTexan:
This is what drives me crazy about the newspaper business, and also why I no longer wish to be associated with that industry. If a victim, is "expected to survive," then it is NOT a drowning! It can be a near-drowning, but if it's a drowning incident, then the victim did not survive.

I know you guys might be on deadline, but GET IT RIGHT!! :mad:

Not only that but I'm familiar with that incident too. That had nothing to with drowning or diving. The instructor had a medical issue on the surface after doing some drills with students. I have no love for the media either, especially when it comes to SCUBA, they never get it right.

I was certified at this exact location a few years ago. I can tell you the water was very murky the day I did my cert probably 2-4 feet of viz. My instructor who was a moron had us swim through an underwater metal shark. Going through the shark with (no light) was the scariest thing I have ever done. After getting my OW card I decided to switch scuba stores due to that incident. I told this story and everyone said they knew that guy and he was a danger to himself and other students.

Anyways, the whole park is very laid back and safety seemed to take a back seat. If you are with a dumb instructor then it could mean you lose your life. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

The death of any diver is a tragedy, but it's natural to feel the loss even more when it is one so young. I will be offering up prayers for the family of the victim and urge others to do the same. Her family will be referred to our prayer list page on the CDOT website and on our mailing list.
May God have mercy upon the ones left behind and bless them with peace during this "storm".
If anyone knows of a way in which we, as divers, can help please let us know.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom